Author Topic: Net Neutrality  (Read 1786 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Net Neutrality
« on: June 02, 2014, 04:38:50 PM »
It's very important but most people don't understand what it's about.

Sometimes it takes a comedian to point out what the big boys are trying to do to the rest of us. I hope some of you will take the time to watch this.

Some NSFW language.

Rob

• View Profile
Re: Net Neutrality
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »
Absolutely agree

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:43:26 AM »
My crappy bare minimum internet service from ATT costs me more every month than my entire all electric energy bill.

Once again the USA is Number 0ne... in screwing its citizens for the benefit of corporations.  Long live the Corporatocracy!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »
To me it's not just about Net Neutrality.  "The Big Boys" are doing this to us in every capacity imaginable; laws/punishment, natural resource exploitation, development rules, you name it.

Did a remix of an old band's track about this a few years back (relevant lyrics are the second half, after 2:20 or so): 

RIP Utah Philips too while on topic

song starts at 3:03 but it's all worth a listen

The Past Didn't Go Anywhere was mindblowing to teen me. 

Also John Oliver is pretty brilliant.  I knew he'd get his own show after watching about a few days of him filling in for John Stewart.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 05:38:20 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 08:11:32 PM »
Thanks to John Oliver's call to action, the FCC's comments site crashed and was down yesterday. Right now it's extremely slow. Gosh, maybe the FCC needs to pay some cash bribes to its cable company.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:37:36 AM »
LOL
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 06:36:52 AM »

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 06:52:11 AM »
charlie daniels, the southern ted nugent. you can throw mark farner and ricky medlocke into that 'super patriot' pile as well. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:48:41 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 09:50:40 AM »
The FCC was put up for sale in the mid 80's by Reagan with his bullshit lies about deregulation benefiting anyone other than giant corporations. Housing market bubble? There USED to be be laws that would have prevented all of it. Banks getting trillions in tax dollars "bailouts" because they invested in the aforementioned? Likewise. 

Until all the self-righteous morons who think the government lives and dies by their paycheck wake up to the fact that they are on the side of the folks who are screwing everyone but the ultra-wealthy, the real folks in charge quietly chuckle in the country club gardens watching the rest of us squabble over what few crumbs they let dribble out.

The company I used to work for regularly ignored FCC broadcast regulations at will once it learned who in Washington to bribe/"lobby" and they were relatively small potatoes compared to the giants of AT&T and Comcast. Governments are seldom perfect, but the one we have now might as well have a "For Sale or Rent" sign on all the DC area road signs.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »
Can't forget good ole' Bocephus now Nofi  ;)
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »
The FCC was put up for sale in the mid 80's by Reagan with his bullshit lies about deregulation benefiting anyone other than giant corporations. Housing market bubble? There USED to be be laws that would have prevented all of it. Banks getting trillions in tax dollars "bailouts" because they invested in the aforementioned? Likewise. 

Although I wasn't a big fan of the Fairness Doctrine, I have come to the conclusion that the public interest in using the public airwaves was better served by it than what happened after it was eliminated during the Reagan years. The monopoly of talk radio by one side of the political view gets really old, and I honestly don't think that we benefit by having political drones spend hours drumming propaganda into the ears of either party. People seem to spend their time listening to hard-core belief sets that they already hold.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 06:15:27 PM »
The monopoly of talk radio by one side of the political view gets really old, and I honestly don't think that we benefit by having political drones spend hours drumming propaganda into the ears of either party. People seem to spend their time listening to hard-core belief sets that they already hold.

Couldn't agree more.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 07:37:22 PM »
Although I wasn't a big fan of the Fairness Doctrine, I have come to the conclusion that the public interest in using the public airwaves was better served by it than what happened after it was eliminated during the Reagan years. The monopoly of talk radio by one side of the political view gets really old, and I honestly don't think that we benefit by having political drones spend hours drumming propaganda into the ears of either party. People seem to spend their time listening to hard-core belief sets that they already hold.

I don't see it as much as a monopoly but something that sells ad space.  The opposing side has tried for decades to compete and just can't seem to put up a product advertisers want spend money on. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 09:47:22 AM »

I couldn't disagree more.  If droning bothers someone, they should turn it off.  It's really simple.  Radio and TV survive based on audience.  No audience, no program.  Darwin was right.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »
I really like John Oliver's show.  It's one of the best things I've seen like that in a long time. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal