Author Topic: Ronnie Montrose dies  (Read 3792 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Ronnie Montrose dies
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:11:04 AM »
Ronnie Montrose died yesterday (Saturday, March 3) after a five-year battle with prostate cancer. He was 64 years old.

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=170627

www.ronniemontrose.com

RIP Ronnie

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Ronnie Montrose dies
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:11:06 AM »
Damn, that sucks. RIP, Ronnie.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 05:56:16 AM »
Awe shit they just keep falling. RIP Ronnie
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:20:16 AM »
too bad, great guitarist. imo the first montrose album is the best hard rock record ever recorded. :sad:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:25:17 AM »
He was a good one alright :sad:
RIP
Rick

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:46:33 AM »

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »
too bad, great guitarist. imo the first montrose album is the best hard rock record ever recorded. :sad:

So very true. I've owned it as an album at least three times ( got stolen ) and as a CD twice.

RIP Ronnie.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:08:42 AM »
RIP Ronnie
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 10:42:45 AM »
RIP Ronnie  :sad:
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »

A defining "moment" in rock guitar for sure. I say moment because that band never truly realized its potential. The subsequent albums were weak in the knees compared to the first.

I didn't see this one coming. Ironically, a few weeks back we lost Mark Reale of Riot, who, for the past several years had been using a black Les Paul Custom as his main stage guitar - one that was formerly owned by Ronnie.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 07:51:34 AM »
Buddy of mine just saw him at BB Kings and i decided not to go.  He hung out with him after the showand got so,me pictures with him.  He looked old and bloated but not terminally ill.  Shame

RIP Ronnie
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
I remember seeing him at the Hammersmith Odeon with Gamma - did this sparkling stands-alone solo... just him, his guitar, and the spotlight...
When he finished the place was just dead quiet - never seen it before or since - awestruck...

He quietly spoke into a mic a few moments after the echos died saying, "Well, what'ya think...?"

The place just erupted...

Even over here he was very accessible and if you emailed him he would promptly respond with a reply answering any query...

Gutted... just gutted...

RIP Ronnie, you've more than earned your place in R'n'R Heaven...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 07:51:30 AM »
Now that's really sad. RIP, Ronnie.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 09:32:20 AM »
There is a really well-written and lenghty article in the new Classic Rock about him (scheduled unrelated to his death, but now all the more poignant) - the author had been chasing him for years for the interview, RM had become an elusive recluse preferring to transport flowers for his wife who is a wedding and event planner. When the interview finally happened (Hagar: "I doubt that Ronnie will really let himself be interviewed ..."), it was more of a stand-off with an extremely aloof RM delivering revisionist statements and dodging the (very lucid, the guy had done his homework and actually met Montrose in the seventies as a youthful fan) questions of the journalist. A difficult man at the best of times. And that is not just the author saying that, but basically everyone whoever played and recorded with him including Edgar Winter, Sammy Hagar, Bill Church, Denny Carmassi and Ted Templeman (who had already produced him with Van the Man).

I remember two things from an interview he did more than a decade (possibly even two decades) ago:

- That "Bruce Springsteen's music is just as formatted as AC/DC's, he doesn't stray an iota from what his fans expect".

- "My dream band? Deep Purple, Ian Gillan line up, with me taking the place of Ritchie Blackmore."

The Classic Rock interview is also insightful as to how much early VH patterned themselves after Montrose. They wanted Templeman as a producer because of his work with Montrose and Eddie demanded every recording trick of the Montrose debut to be repeated on VH's debut.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...