Author Topic: Southern Rednecks  (Read 4527 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Rednecks
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »
Garth Brooks...?

Ah got frends in          places...
                        bass
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 06:06:57 PM »
I need to check my facts....

That said, I am pretty sure that there is a Dayton connection to that soundtrack.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »
i belive the term Redneck came from either coal miners or railroad workers staging one of the first strikes and they all wore a red hankercheif around their neck.i saw some tv show about it once.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 08:07:14 PM »
Redneck was originally a name for a southern farmer, the back of his neck was burnt by the sun.  The mine workers adopted it later.

Calling somebody a 'Southern Redneck' is like calling a New Yorker a 'Northern Yankee'.

wagdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 09:10:30 AM »
Man of Constant Sorrow is Dan Tyminski from Union Station...don't know if he's from Dayton or not...

Dan's from Vermont (Rutland if I remember correctly).  About as far from a southern redneck as you can get.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 09:25:23 AM »
I also found that one of the guys from Union Station is from Warren, Ohio.

And, Richie Furay of Poco and Buffalo Springfield fame, is from Yellow Springs, OH.

We shouldn't even mention the fact that the KKK (at least at one time) had it's strongest foothold in Indiana.

Didn't Jeff Foxworthy hit on his redneck jokes after noticing that a bowling alley in Detroit offered valet parking?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 05:19:54 PM »
All this talk...I went out and bought myself a banjo from someone on craigslist after work today...good instrument at a good price...boy am I rusty. Was good to play again, though. Weighs more than a T-40.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:11:19 PM by patman »