Author Topic: Southern Rednecks  (Read 4526 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Southern Rednecks
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »

dadagoboi, didn't you post the trailer with the flying vw as your house awhile back?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:49:09 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Rednecks
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:48:07 AM »
I'm happy that in this forum people are not easily typecast for their regional origins, oh nein. That said, isn't southern rednecks a bit of a pleonasm? (If you have to look up that word you probably are one!!!  :mrgreen:)

And the music reminded me a little of this here:

Yes, I like Garth Brooks, there I said it.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:27:55 PM »
My daughter lived two years in California...she bought Garth Brooks greatest hits while out there...her room-mates thought she was crazy, but she said one of the things she missed most about home was country music...

She grew up practically from birth listening to me play banjo...I used to play a lot. I have also been getting the itch again...I sold my old Gibson when I bought my electric upright...big mistake, except the upright has made me a bunch of money in my band over the last 5 years or so.

I like Garth Brooks too...highest quality writers and players...If I wrote like that or played like that, I wouldn't be doing tax returns for a living...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:53:43 PM by patman »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 10:12:28 PM »
I doubt there's ever been a shortage of country music in California. Garth Brooks has been out of the spotlight for quite a while though.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:52:17 AM »
I'm happy that in this forum people are not easily typecast for their regional origins, oh nein. That said, isn't southern rednecks a bit of a pleonasm?

Yes and no; the term redneck has unfortunately been appropriated by what we REAL rednecks refer to as "white trash." ...which is a term that a couple of generations ago, many of my fellow Southerners would have (and no doubt some still do) use to derogatorily refer to me. This country has done to the term redneck what it does to most things that are too sharp for the pablum-dulled palate that is the average American's intellect: pasteurized and homogenized it. Sadly, the best documentary on the subject which really explains things is an excellent one-shot show on the History Channel... hosted by Billy Ray Cyrus.

Some battles, ya just cain't win.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:55:40 AM »
Yes, I like Garth Brooks, there I said it.

He's a VERY nice guy who is very respectful to the people around him, bandmates and road workers included. I got to see a jazz clinic put on by members of his touring band. There was a 15 minute drum solo that was so good, I only knew its length because there was clock behind the drummer.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:18:18 AM »
I doubt there's ever been a shortage of country music in California. Garth Brooks has been out of the spotlight for quite a while though.

Last I heard he had a steady gig in Vegas and commuted every day back to OK.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 06:56:25 AM »
I think there was a shortage of country music within her circle of friends...who probably considered it beneath them.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
let me amend this. white trash are nation wide. why the south gets picked on i don't know. the accent? i've noticed that in much of the midwest people have southern accents as well.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »
Last I heard he had a steady gig in Vegas and commuted every day back to OK.

I think so. Many of yesterday's stars can be found in Branson or Vegas. Once the big record sales stop, some of them make real money instead of getting ripped off by the gangsters at RIAA record labels.

let me amend this. white trash are nation wide. why the south gets picked on i don't know. the accent? i've noticed that in much of the midwest people have southern accents as well.

White trash are everywhere, but you won't hear many southern accents this far north.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 01:59:16 PM »
Speaking of rednecks:

And this is my favorite Garth Brooks song, story a bit lifted from High Noon, but still nice, also for his James Taylor influence:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:08:06 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:39:01 PM by Dave W »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 06:35:55 AM »
Well, I can tell you that the hick factor in Columbus is pretty high.  I believe the winner of the national blues competition a couple years back was from Columbus.  The guys that recorded "Man Of Constant Sorrow" for O, Brother Where Art Thou?  I think they are in Dayton, OH.  Cincinnati is considered a big crossroads town between the Appalachians and larger urban areas.  Cincy is where a lot of people went to find work in the "big city".

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 11:26:05 AM »
The lederhosen dance is excusable.  The camera holder waving it up and down with the dance is not.  Motion sickness ensues.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 02:45:45 PM »
Man of Constant Sorrow is Dan Tyminski from Union Station...don't know if he's from Dayton or not...