Author Topic: What's playing  (Read 2407 times)

patman

• View Profile
Re: What's playing
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 09:34:13 AM »
I'll have to agree with your sister on that one--I never liked the unplugged Layla

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »
The intro to Layla is one of the finest things Duane Allman came up with...  :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 01:13:43 PM »
I was at the Lyceum in June 1970 when what had been billed as Eric Clapton and Friends was introduced as Derek & the Dominos. We thought it was just a joke.

Apart from the unplugged Layla, there's all the reinventions of Crossroads, none of which come close to the Wheels of Fire version. I suppose that's the point.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 03:05:53 PM »
Phil... the CD reissue of D&TD Filmore concert makes quite enjoyable listening - shame Duane wasn't on hand (extremely biased Duane Allman fan  ;))
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 08:37:35 AM »
But Jim Gordon was there, right? One of the worlds greatest rock drummers, ever. Pity he lost his mind... Whenever I listen to the Layla double, it's the drums, and Carl Radles nice and cool bass playing, that hits me. What a pair!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 03:33:11 PM »
The only thing I really remember from that concert, apart from being 20 feet from Clapton himself, was they played Let It Rain, just 3 acoustic guitars - Clapton, Dave Mason and I can't even remember who the 3rd acoustic was.

Apart from Dave Mason, who left soon after, it was the core Dominos, so yes, Gordon, Radle, Whitlock. 

That year I also saw Ginger Baker's Airforce, with Graham Bond and Phil Seaman. And they were 2 hours late.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:47:52 PM by PhilT »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 01:11:55 PM »
Show-off...  ;)

8) whether you like it or not...