Author Topic: What's playing  (Read 2408 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
What's playing
« on: August 05, 2009, 03:51:33 AM »
Don't know if you've seen this before, but I've just wasted a huge amount of time on it. Supposedly tells you the most popular tracks by artist and genre on American radio.

http://demo.qliktech.com/qlikview/AJAX/MusiqTracker/what.html

Great way to pick your band's set lists ...  ??? :o

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: What's playing
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
Interesting concept, I wonder how representative it really is.

Also tells me how far out of the mainstream my musical tastes are.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 10:18:19 AM »
Well, Mediaguide claims to monitor a range of US radio broadcasts, you can follow the link on the qliktech app to see what they do.

I played around with the genres, blues is predictable - Bad to the Bone and Pride & Joy come out top. Rock, well, is Nickleback really that popular in the US? I was assuming anything that surprised me was just the difference the ocean makes.

It gets weird on the When page. Supposed to segment by era, which is ok from the 1950s on, but they've got Pink and Kings of Leon in the 1920s.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:23:17 AM »
I don't know of anyone in any age group that likes Nickleback at all. But they get played a lot on stations in my area. 
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 01:47:07 PM »
I looked at the Cajun chart and see Belinda by Cookie & the Cupcakes is near the top. They were from the Lake Charles area but they were what's now called Swamp Pop, not Cajun music. And the song is 45 years old. Go figure.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 03:52:56 PM »
I like Nickelback...

oops...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 02:02:18 AM »
I looked at the Cajun chart and see Belinda by Cookie & the Cupcakes is near the top. They were from the Lake Charles area but they were what's now called Swamp Pop, not Cajun music. And the song is 45 years old. Go figure.

So they got 3 plays, once each in New Orleans (KLRZ, 5pm, 31 July), Lafayette (KBON, 10am, 3rd Aug) and El Paso (KBNA, 12pm, 2nd August).

Isn't knowledge empowering?  :bored: :bored: :bored:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 08:11:25 AM »
So they got 3 plays, once each in New Orleans (KLRZ, 5pm, 31 July), Lafayette (KBON, 10am, 3rd Aug) and El Paso (KBNA, 12pm, 2nd August).

Isn't knowledge empowering?  :bored: :bored: :bored:

There you have it, proof that Cajun music is still popular! Even when it's not Cajun.  :P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »
I like Nickelback...

oops...

I think Nickelbag are a perfectly alright hard rock band with a tune or two. Why they accumulate so much hate and derision is beyond me, they are a bit the Grand Funk Railroad of this decade. Which means that in 2030 they will be positively reappraised.

And appreciated for the deep meaning of their lyrics "you look so much cuter with something in your mouth" and rhyming "budget" with "touch it":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJs9CEhXTFM&feature=PlayList&p=E7AA745A7CFD878C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=25
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 11:00:42 AM »
My wife's a Kentuckian so we play all kinds of music here... Country and Western...  ;) (why do you think I love my Ipod...  :mrgreen: )

Uwe... Stickleback and GFR... now you can clearly see that I'm a trend-setter... you'll all be begging for Tequila refins before long (don't forget that the PC got tequilafied in the 80's,) then I'll coin in so much I'll be able to buy more instruments to "Customise"...  :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »
Nice to see that Fannypack got a play for their seminal hit "Cameltoe".  At 9am on Friday. Doesn't anyone think of the children?

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 03:35:37 PM »
Cream are Easy Listening  ???

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 03:57:14 PM »
Cream are Easy Listening  ???

Ever since Clapton Unplugged.  :-\

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 09:21:57 AM »
Ever since Clapton Unplugged.  :-\

Ever since I Shot the Sheriff and Wonderful Tonight I expect. People seem unable to separate Clapton's pop song phase from what went before.

We played White Room recently, just because we could, and someone came up and said it was nice to hear it again. Only one person though.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 09:29:37 AM »
Not long after Clapton Unplugged came out, one of my sisters told me she had heard "some clown" doing a silly acoustic version of Layla. When I told her that the clown was Clapton, first thing she said was "what happened? I told her I guess he just mellowed out. She said "How sad!"  :-\