Author Topic: Last Song by the Beatles  (Read 1842 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Last Song by the Beatles
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2023, 05:36:19 AM »
Your point I en II could have been true if the charts were based on streaming or YouTube views.
But they're not. They are based on vinyl single sales. I don't think anybody would buy a vinyl single out of sheer curiosity or morbid interest.
Point III seems valid. I think lots of Beatles fans buy it just because it's The Beatles. But it's still a lot of products sold...

"With 19,400 vinyl copies sold, it’s the fastest selling vinyl single of the century, and its total physical sales of 38,000 were the biggest single week of physical sales since 2014, when X Factor winner Ben Haenow reached Christmas No 1 with Something I Need."

and

"Now and Then was also streamed more than 5 million times in the UK, by far the highest single week figure for any Beatles song."

Having said that, they outnumber sales of The Rolling Stones latest effort. Wouldn't the Stones benefit the same mechanisms more or less?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2023, 07:33:54 AM »
I believe it's successful, Rob, stop!!! :mrgreen: It's The Beatles (or a conglomerate of ex-Beatles work) after all, I'm happy that Macca, Ringo as well as the Lennon and Harrison estates earn another penny or two, no one wants to see ex-Beatles apply for social security or welfare, that looming danger seems now to be belatedly averted.

Buying vinyl is in itself a deeply nostalgic, life style affirming act. There is no credible sonic argument for it unless voodoo acoustics are your thing. I don't believe for a minute that the majority of these vinyl singles are ever played, they are keepsakes. The fact that people buy the new song on vinyl just reinforces the novelty character of the whole thing. Don‘t think it will be added to Revolver or Sgt Pepper rereleases as a bonus track anytime soon.  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 05:19:03 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2023, 08:06:57 AM »
Having listened a few times, I think this would have been a popular song "back in the day".  It has a rather haunting melody and it's in their nostalgic/wistful vein.  Not a bad tune at all.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2023, 02:05:45 PM »
To me, is sounds like an Oasis ballad ripping off The Beatles. But one written by Liam, not Noel. That is not really a knock, I never thought Oasis terrible, just a bit overrated and one-trick-pony'ish.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2023, 05:40:11 PM »
I was just on YouTube and the video came up again.  So I watched it.  It really isn't quite as bad as I thought.  It helps if you don't focus too much on the video itself, which isn't really very good.  The song itself could have been worse.  They had no choice but to work with what they had, obviously.  In that context, they did as well as could be expected.  It's the remnant ex-Beatles trying to be the Beatles.  I don't know where the clip is, but on one video George Harrison is joking that his latest album was as good as the Beatles.  He is poking fun at himself, of course, because attempting such a thing would be ridiculous.  What Harrison said about himself could apply to any ex-Beatle, needless to say.

Edit:

I didn't know about this.  I just discovered this:  George Harrison had rejected "Now and Then" in 1995, calling it "f***ing rubbish."

https://youtu.be/3Z0am_Og3T4?list=RD3Z0am_Og3T4
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 11:58:16 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2023, 02:48:54 PM »

I didn't know about this.  I just discovered this:  George Harrison had rejected "Now and Then" in 1995, calling it "f***ing rubbish."

https://youtu.be/3Z0am_Og3T4?list=RD3Z0am_Og3T4

Not unusual for one member of the Beatles to feel that way about almost any of their tunes.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2023, 03:16:57 PM »
When you're in a band, there is a simple test: Does the personal gratification you draw from not playing a song one of your band buddies likes (and you don't) outweigh the joy you bring him/her if you do? That question is regularly easy to answer.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2023, 09:42:44 PM »
John and Paul had, in essence, called a number of George Harrison's songs f***ing rubbish through the years.  This included ones that were eventually included on his "All Things Must Pass" album.  Nevertheless, I had no personal connection with anyone in the Beatles.  What they did with their internal band dynamics was their own business.  This could be said for any band that a person isn't a member of.  At this point in time, I don't feel like taking anybody's side on anything.  I'd like to be neutral the best I can.  Nevertheless, in 1995 George may have had a point about that song.  It probably did sound pretty bad back then.  But Olivia represents George now.  She supports the song.  Also, she is the one who saved George with a fireplace poker when that lunatic broke into their home.  She has more than done her part and should be listened to about Beatles songs and probably a lot of other things, too.  I also like Dhani.  Also, he is the only person who comes even close to covering George Harrison songs very well.  I wish most of the other people would just stop.  It's painful to listen to.  There have been a few exceptions, but not many. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dhani-harrison-goes-back-forest-142908254.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 09:53:17 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2023, 09:57:15 PM »
George always had his committed fans. Ones you wouldn't want to mess with.

George is supposed to have liked it. Some people have called it Cheap Trick'ish, they are not far off.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:08:27 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2023, 12:33:49 AM »
That's a really good cover.  And there is nothing wrong with sounding like Cheap Trick, either.  I once almost got to see them in New Orleans.  I already had bought the tickets.  But transportation, weather problems, etc., caused me not to get to go. 

Those awful George Harrison covers mostly seem to occur at those tribute concerts.  I could give examples, but I'd rather not highlight mediocrity.  I think in some cases, people are called on to perform when they're not ready.  Or maybe they just weren't cut out to do the songs in the first place.  Reasons can vary.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2023, 07:48:17 AM »
I didn't think it was a bad cover at the time (or today) either. That's the trouble with Uncle Ted, he's a lot better + more nuanced a musician than a political or social commentator. You can't have everything.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2023, 09:17:16 AM »
I barely kept up at all with Ted's politics or music.  But that is a fairly rare GH cover.  Because like I said, most of those covers like that are not very good at all, but often cringeworthy.  And when it comes to social commentary I have noticed in the majority of cases people think they are the world's leading experts when, in fact, they don't know jack diddly squat. 

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2023, 01:56:44 PM »
I could give examples, but I'd rather not highlight mediocrity.

I'm going to start using that line at work!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2023, 02:37:10 PM »
I'm going to start using that line at work!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2023, 02:46:37 PM »
One of my fave Harrison covers:

It got slammed at the time for not doing the naiveté, innocence and charm of Harrison's original any justice, but I thought it was a gifted and inspired take. Mind you, Steve Harley was despised by the British music press because he had been a scathing music journo himself previously. And of course Harley's very English mannered art rock vocals are an acquired taste.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 02:52:24 PM by uwe »