Author Topic: Les Paul Mega thread  (Read 22026 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Les Paul Mega thread
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2009, 08:37:44 AM »
Man, these pictures are nice! My GAS for a Triumph is all back now. Somehow I like the Triumph better than the 'Recording' bass. I like the orange colour and the block inlays.

Thanks, Barend.  Didn't you have a Les Paul Bass for a while?  I don't know how the sound compares to the LPB (haven't played one), but compared to the EBs (which I know you've had) the Triumph has a lot tighter low end, more even response across the strings and up the neck, and it can be very clear and articulate when you want it to.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2009, 10:49:12 AM »
I favour the Les Paul -often referred to as Recording- Bass over a Triumph.
It feels more substantial. (for example: the large control plate on the Triumph is very vulnerable/delicate)

The body is 5 mm thicker and to my ears that gives it a deeper and tighter tone.
The neck of the Triumph is a wee bit thinner.

If the Les Paul Bass doesn't speak to you Barend, the Triumph will most likely not speak to you either.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:09:57 AM by Basvarken »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2009, 11:49:24 AM »
I'm with the man speaking the medieval Middle German dialect: I prefer the LP/original Recording to the Triumph too. The neck on the Triumph  is indeed suspiciously thin and the scratchplate just waiting for the bass' less than robust guts to spill out. The LP looks better (more organic) too and is able to do everything the Triumph offers (except for the redundnat higher output option).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2009, 12:55:16 PM »
Vol, tone and chicken head "level controller" with pos 50, 200 and 500. Plus an extra jack at the side for a really low signal for studio work straight into the board.

Does anyone know what "50, 200 and 500" actually mean?  I know the sound changes with the position, but 50, 200 and 500 - WHAT?  Ohms of resistance?  Frequency rolloff point?  Frequency boost point?

Inquiring minds wanna know.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2009, 01:17:49 PM »
With the rotary switch you choose the impedance.

barend

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
Thanks, Barend.  Didn't you have a Les Paul Bass for a while?  I don't know how the sound compares to the LPB (haven't played one), but compared to the EBs (which I know you've had) the Triumph has a lot tighter low end, more even response across the strings and up the neck, and it can be very clear and articulate when you want it to.

Yes, I had a LP bass for a week at my home just to try it out. But it had some problems with the electronics so it was hard to judge the full potential of the sound and also it was a little bit too heavy for my taste.
So in the end I didn't buy it although I liked what I heard. Maybe if it was in perfect working order (soundwise) I would have bought it.

And Rob: you are probably right. But they look so beautiful! Also I don't really need it but I always had GAS
for a Triumph. Chromiums Triumph is the best looking Triumph I ever saw. It looks like a photoshoot for a magazine or so (must be a very good camera)...why did you post those pictures?..haha
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 02:39:41 PM by barend »

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2009, 06:00:22 PM »
I've seen a few LPB-1s in this thread but I don't think I've seen one in the black/yellow sunburst finish yet, so here's mine, alongside my bandmate's LP guitar:

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2009, 06:40:33 PM »
With the rotary switch you choose the impedance.

Thanks! 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2009, 08:08:12 AM »
I've seen a few LPB-1s in this thread but I don't think I've seen one in the black/yellow sunburst finish yet, so here's mine, alongside my bandmate's LP guitar:

Cool 3 knobber! Real Junior vibe on that one.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »
From the future, slated for Limited Run release:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2009, 09:05:50 AM »
You've been to the future?

barend

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2009, 09:06:40 AM »
wow! an LP3  :)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2009, 04:14:12 PM »
Thanks Dave...  8)

Oh... you didn't mean me...  :sad:

I think I saw a psychedelic megalomaniac image on this page to rival the "Tequilabird"...!!!

Stand up  and claim your crown, Paul (SlinkP, with the "Blazer") ...!!!!!!!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »
Whether I've been to the future, Dave? That is a question of great philosophical implications, nevertheless I will attempt an explanation for you. The great learned English philosophers Ozzy O. And Geezer B. once quite rightly observed "that today is yesterday's tomorrow". Think about it. What it means is that while no-one of us will ever have been to the future - it escapes day after day as it metamorphoses into the present only to then decay into the past -, all of us are constantly going towards it. And the journey is more important than the destination.

I really should be writing liner notes for prog albums ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »
A car/train/plane/etc is a time-machine... (car - literally, in "that" movie) - if you walked the distance, how long would it take...?

and did you know that you hear the "sound" of lightning in reverse, in most cases... think about it... light/electricity travels considerably faster than sound, so the point where the "arc" is formed is the point of "creation of the sound", but as it strikes the ground (in many cases) faster than the sound from the creation point, and this could have been miles up, you hear the strike point first...

"I was here at the dawn of time, and I will be here at the end of time, but not in this form..." - the philosophy of Kennneth Stewart, circa 1981

"Time is relative, lunch time doubly so..." - Douglas Adams (rip)

I really should be sectioned, under the Mental Health Act...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...