Author Topic: Anyone know what brand of bass this is?  (Read 4295 times)

Hornisse

Anyone know what brand of bass this is?
« on: December 18, 2009, 09:30:38 PM »
I've always wondered about this bass since I first saw the video way back when.  I even went to kathy Valentine's website and asked her about it.  Here is her reply!

September 20, 2007
Robert of Austin, TX writes: asks:

Hello Kathy. A bunch of us at a Gibson bass forum were admiring your Thunderbird inspired bass played on the Head Over Heels video. Great bassline too! Can you shed any light about who manufactured that beautiful red bass played on that video?

Hi Robert, that bass was inspired by the Thunderbird, and it was custom built for me by Danny Farrington. Unfortunately, I don't know what happened to it. I honestly can't remember if I sold it or donated it or what! pathetic! wish I still had it.

She is so cool. 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know what brand of bass this is?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:01:54 PM »
Another mystery solved (the bass, not its whereabouts).

Nice of her to answer.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 12:43:02 AM »

Nice!

I like that bass, it's a shame that's she lost it. The Nasty Habits cover this song often, esp on a 3 set nite, girls like dancing to it! 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 06:01:50 AM »
I like the NR style headstock. :)
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 06:46:49 AM »
Thank God the eighties are over. Look what those girls did to themselves... :o

Cool bass nonetheless.
But I think I dig that silverflake Gretsch even more

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 08:46:11 AM »
Thank God the eighties are over. Look what those girls did to themselves... :o

(As a product of that era) I may be biased, but some of those goofy 80's looks still look pretty hot to me.  :mrgreen:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 09:33:21 AM »

As we say: "The '80s are *my* '50s!

I Love '80s music  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 09:41:29 AM »
Their 80s looks are okay, it's the video production that really looks dated.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 10:02:47 AM »
(As a product of that era) I may be biased, but some of those goofy 80's looks still look pretty hot to me.  :mrgreen:

Yep, I still like the young, plumpish Belinda better thankyouverymuch ;D

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 10:31:13 AM »
The Go Go's cuties rule.  I have some Jane Wiedlin MTV vids saved on tape somewhere. They should have kept it going, alongside Cheap Trick, The Cars, and Devo.  :)
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 01:41:43 PM »
Thanks - always wondered who made that!  Talk at the old place had suggested Bolin, which seemed logical.  http://www.bolinguitars.com/gallery3.html

Man after watching that vid, I suddenly have the urge to do the "carlton dance"!  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ANUkOyDNQ&feature=related

Hornisse

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »
It was at the old place where we had brought up the  bass.  I wrote that note to her over 2 years ago and went to her website periodically to see if she had gotten to it.  I'm glad she did and we finally know.  I imagine she meant Danny Ferrington who designed that bass that Herr Simmons (or was it Witz?) played on the unplugged concert. 

I too loved the Go Go's.  I wanted Kathy Valentine when I saw them way back when.  I should have hung out back stage after the show as I now here that they were taking advantage of their groupies!

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »
The Carlton dance rules! Shate!!! A bottle of wine (all right, I admit, two) with a good friend, it sure made us laugh, and laugh again. Life is still number Uno, Death sucks!
Excuse me if I'm drawing the tempo down, but I just good the bad news that my younger brother, mainly an archeologist, but to me, the drummer whom I played with in a couple of bands in the 60's and the 70's, my beloved brother, just got to know that he's got a tumour up his brain. The hospital will try to destroy it with some kind of rays. I admit I cried when the news sank into my consciusness yesterday night. We had a gig coming up the same night, which is Friday, 24 hours ago, and it was a situation of just blanking the mind and get into the music, and the dancing chicks who were in their 40's and 50's but grooved so fine my mind went where it should be. Into the music.
Well, it's a bit off subject, but I really must get into the message I had in mind: These Carlton dancers! Lift your spirits! Don't let an uncertain future get you down! Keep the faith!
Because it is, like Sir McCartney once put it so cleaverly: You've gotta carry that weight. A looong time. I pray, because I am a Christian, that my brother Ulf (his name means Wolf) will be all right in the end.
Sorry to disturb you with this, but I just have to go into it. I know you guy's got the ability to share, which is a great gift. You don't have to answer any of this, I just had to let some of my anger OUT!
Have a good time! And remember: Life is a short movie. Close your eyes, and you just might miss the best part!
Regards from a northern Sweden, dressed in white snow.
As Neil Young put it: I believe in you. Oh-oh!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 06:21:02 PM »
Staffan, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Best wishes for him to recover fully.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 06:56:34 PM »
Same here.  They can do amazing things with tumors today - and I hope his treatment is extremely successful.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."