Author Topic: Uncorroberated Gossip ...  (Read 17407 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Uncorroberated Gossip ...
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
The pickups had no low end and not much in the way of highs either. And they were weak.

They were not TB Plus, although they looked similar.

IIRC Uwe modified one of his with something better.

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2009, 09:33:04 AM »
IIRC Uwe modified one of his with something better.

IIRC it was a Mudbucker at the neck...
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2009, 09:36:09 AM »
Ok, ok, you caught me, you ghastly posse! I herewith admit to having bought the second SG-Z, the cherry one, after the first one which was ebony for (clenches teeth ...) the ... variance ... in ... fin. But I felt guilty about it! Now get your own life!!!

The SG-Z bass has both pups farther to the bridge than any other Gibson bass known to man. Farther back than an LPB. Add to that how the pups are "Z-Pick Ups", not TB Plus pups and you have an explanation for the limp, deballed sound which is neither here nor there. Imagine a Jazz Bass with the forward pup dialed down halfway and without any maple neck snap or bolt-on attack. One of my SG-Zs now features a mudbucker in neck position (there is plenty room) and while it now has ample lows, the lows are mushier than on any shortscale archaic EB from the sixties. It has to do with the neck I think which is way too slim. People gripe about fat necks, well, most girls here do, but I think a fat neck has as much or perhaps even more influence on the good sound of a bass as/than a fat body does.

So is a modern-sounding long scale SG bass with balls an impossibility then? No, I have one, courtesy of Herr Carlston's compulsive buying urge (and then not being around to play the darn thing as he criss-crosses the US of A). George bequeathed me a one off long-scale SG bass (Gibson product, but not Custom Shop) and that does the trick. But it varies from the SG-Z as follows (and very considerably):

- TB-Plus pups,
- neck pup closer to the neck,
- fat LPB-sized neck,
- fat SG body, way fatter than any seventies maple neck SG, let's not even speak of the SG-Z body which has slim sixties dimensions,
- three point bridge (as opposed to the Schaller roller bridge of the SG-Z).

But the real reason is of course the one-off model's chrome hardware as opposed to the drab black hardware look of the SG-Z. Hardware finish influences sound, even Dave says so.

Uwe
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:50:50 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »
Going way back about 40 years, when dinosuars roamed the earth and I was a senoir in high school, I had a customized EBO with a recut body and the pickup moved way back toward the bridge. The pickup relocation gave it a great growly Jack Bruce kind of sound. I also had an EPI solid body at the same time, which was pretty much the same bass with the pickup mounted in the stock position, right up at the neck joint, so I had a daily side by side comparison going on for a couple of years.
 Having the pickup mounted back toward the bridge ,IMO , was a tremendous improvement. I could still get plenty of bottom, not as much as the Epi, but the Epi was a bit too bottomy. The growl the EBO had was cool and it also provided a bit more volume because I was picking right on top of the pickup.

Rick

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »
Ok, ok, you caught me, you ghastly posse! I herewith admit to having bought the second SG-Z, the cherry one, after the first one which was ebony for (clenches teeth ...) the ... variance ... in ... fin. But I felt guilty about it! Now get your own life!!

You're crackin me up man! LOL!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2009, 12:04:32 PM »

"But the real reason is of course the one-off model's chrome hardware as opposed to the drab black hardware look of the SG-Z. Hardware finish influences sound"

I'll be zinging you with this MANY TIMES Herr Moderator   ;D 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2009, 01:39:02 PM »
Ok, ok, you caught me, you ghastly posse! I herewith admit to having bought the second SG-Z, the cherry one, after the first one which was ebony for (clenches teeth ...) the ... variance ... in ... fin. But I felt guilty about it! Now get your own life!!!

The emperor has no clothes!
But I'm curious Uwe - what's worse sounding, the SG-Z or the V-Bass?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2009, 06:58:24 PM »
Uwe, i know that bass you're typing about. the red one right? i love the way that bass looks.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »
I thought the SG-Zs were beautiful. They just didn't sound right to me. I had tried two of them in stores, then I was able to borrow one for a couple of weeks. So I was able to give it a fair trial. It was as bad as the store models.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2009, 10:07:12 PM »
I love the way they look as well, but the reviews from guys here and elsewhere have always kept me from trying to grab one. If new pickups would do the trick I might be tempted though, since I'd want to chrome it out anyway...  :mrgreen:

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2009, 11:00:11 PM »
This is why I want Gibson to go out of business, or get bought by some wretched crap outfit.  There will the liquidation and upheaval, and just like when CBS bailed on Fender, a whole bunch of dumpster diving for rare parts and semi-finished parts. In the future, after Gibson has morphed into something like the Baldwin crap they sell at Target, fine people will put up a semi-finished SGZ on ebay.  It will have no pups, or finish or whatever else.  I will play Doc Bass for a couple of weeks/months and create my own SGZ, reimagined with proper home-brew electronics, and no lightning bolt douche-bag inlays.  Rock on, Gibson.  Right into the sunset!
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2009, 01:39:56 AM »
People gripe about fat necks, well, most girls here do, but I think a fat neck has as much or perhaps even more influence on the good sound of a bass as/than a fat body does.

Couldn't agree more. Fat (bottom) necks me likey!

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2009, 06:33:58 AM »
When I first got my Ripper I took it to the shop for a setup and the guy there laughed himself silly over the fat neck on it. He thought it the coolest thing he'd ever seen.

Rippers are also fat bottomed girls!  :thumbsup:
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2009, 10:29:32 AM »
This is why I want Gibson to go out of business, or get bought by some wretched crap outfit.  There will the liquidation and upheaval, and just like when CBS bailed on Fender, a whole bunch of dumpster diving for rare parts and semi-finished parts. In the future, after Gibson has morphed into something like the Baldwin crap they sell at Target, fine people will put up a semi-finished SGZ on ebay.  It will have no pups, or finish or whatever else.  I will play Doc Bass for a couple of weeks/months and create my own SGZ, reimagined with proper home-brew electronics, and no lightning bolt douche-bag inlays.  Rock on, Gibson.  Right into the sunset!

I take it that Henry J. isn't invited to your Christmas dinner, then.

Unless you're having turkey.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2009, 01:31:45 PM »
I'll give you an out, Uwe...

You obviously wanted the cherry fin as she would fit into Ze Kollection as a much better representation of the species and you always planned to give the Ebony lady "Six Million Dollar Luthier" treatment, to show the boffins at the Custom Shop the error of their ways...

(you can thank me later... ;D)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...