Author Topic: ES750 w/Barts on Reverb  (Read 2011 times)

ilan

• View Profile
ES750 w/Barts on Reverb
« on: October 26, 2018, 09:19:20 AM »
In France. $4,419

https://reverb.com/item/10167850-gibson-eb-750-bass-1992-sunburst

It's a beautiful bass. Too bad about the Barts though. (EDIT: the Barts are stock) You know I have a soft spot for full hollowbody basses, I could buy it just to look at it... But I won't.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:51:55 PM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: ES750 w/Barts on Reverb
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 09:21:46 AM »
Very nice.
But way above my budget (if there is any... :o )

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 12:30:11 PM »
Cool, I wasn't familiar with these. Very pretty.
What's the scale length?

Are the bartolinis a mod? What came with it originally?
Hard to tell but they look like they might be "guitar humbucker" size?
In which case there are quite a few options for dropping in there.

The bridge pup looks a bit too close to the bridge for my liking.

That is six or seven times the cost of any instrument I've ever bought though :-o
I'll keep my low budget workhorses for now!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 01:52:10 PM »
The Barts are stock.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
That's a beautiful instrument, and this statement comes from a guy who's allergic to 99.5% of the sunbursts...not certain that I'd be able to deal with its size, though. I don't believe I've ever played a bass with that big of a body and long scale on top of it...

"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 09:49:54 PM »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 11:09:01 AM »
The Barts are stock.

Still too bad tho ;p
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 12:16:46 PM »
Still too bad tho ;p

Uwe said he thinks his would sound better with passive electronics and without a sustain block.

Most Bart pickups sound okay to me, but the active TCT circuit isn't one of my favorites.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 02:01:15 PM »
The bass does look the part. Nice flamed maple pattern.
(Never been a fan of Bartolini though)

I think the achilles heel of this bass is the bridge. What a piece of outdated technology on a well crafted instrument...  :o

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 08:09:14 PM »
I think the achilles heel of this bass is the bridge. What a piece of outdated technology on a well crafted instrument...  :o
Nothing wrong with an ebony bridge. It floats so you can adjust intonation (I have floating ebony bridges on 4 arch top basses and intonation on all of them is dead on), it follows the neck radius perfectly, and you have ebony on the other end of the string and it works well. Sure it doesn't look very high tech but it certainly isn't outdated.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 04:06:14 AM »
Maybe a sin, but you could replace the pickups with chrome ones and if you really want another bridge.

Bridges. I'm always thinking about which one I hate more:

I had a Burns and still have Gretsch with round saddles on a threaded round bar. If you rotate them, the saddles move to the left or right, like a bolt and nut. In this way you can adjust string spacing. But if you put the string on it and you tune it, it rotates a bit to, so after replacing strings your saddles are all over the bar. Solution: turn the string more lose, rotate the saddle to the other side and hope it's enough, so when you tune the string it's on the right spot again:)

Intonating the Danelectro: take all the strings off, remove the whole bridge. Losen the screw on the bottom, adjust the piece of wood. YTighten the screw, put the bridge on again, put all the strings on again, tune, check intonation. Not good? Take all the strings of, remove the bridge...

So I'll have a bar bridge like on this Gibson or Höfner any time;)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 05:33:59 AM »
Gretsch with round saddles on a threaded round bar. If you rotate them, the saddles move to the left or right, like a bolt and nut

They called it Space Control bridge and you don't need that whole procedure. Raise the string a little out of the ring saddle and rest it on the threaded bar itself, move the saddle to where you want it and pull the string back on it. No need at all to loosen the string. I've done it many times when I toyed with the spacing. BUT I will say that in 30+ years I have owned a Gretsch with said bridge, I never needed to do that as a result of restringing.

In my experience, the most annoying feature of the Space Control bridge is that the threaded bar (and consequently the whole bridge) is straight and not curved to follow the fretboard radius. That, and the inability adjust intonation, just to move/angle the whole bridge. Which is why the Höfner bridge is pure genius. Adjustable for intonation, height, spacing, and the string rests on a mirror image of its other side - a piece of fret set into a groove in a piece of ebony.