Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Incoming Vintage Pro Epi 'bird

(1/8) > >>

gearHed289:
Well I finally cracked. I'm not even a huge fan of playing Thunderbirds, but here we are.  ;D I bought a used Vintage Pro in white with an Epi case. With tax and shipping, it was less than the new 64 version. I'm supposed to be downsizing, and not buying anymore basses just because they're "cool", but you know how that goes... 4 more years and I'm going to be selling off a lot of stuff. That's the plan anyway.

lowend1:
You won't regret it. You won't lose money on it, either, if things keep going the way they are. The VP, IMHO, has a couple of advantages over the '64, depending on when the VP was made. The earliest ones (2017?) have the large plate Wilkinson tuners, while the 64 has unbranded ones with the small plate. I prefer the rosewood board on the VP as well, over the Indian Laurel they use now. In any case, enjoy - they're great basses.

gearHed289:
Thanks, I figured I could explain this one as somewhat of an investment, particularly in white. It does have Wilkinson tuners. The case kind of sealed the deal for me.

TBird1958:
 It's a good sturdy bass, I used mine for most of our shows last year and really liked it -  The only change I made to it was to replace the pickups with the Gibson re-issues, they have a bit deeper voice and lo-mid mid presence, the Epi 760s are nice and it's my intent to leave them in the new Ember Red '64.

I like Betty's butt and i cannot lie! 

lowend1:

--- Quote from: gearHed289 on March 27, 2024, 09:19:32 AM ---Thanks, I figured I could explain this one as somewhat of an investment, particularly in white. It does have Wilkinson tuners. The case kind of sealed the deal for me.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, white was the move for me too, with both the VP and CP. All that gawking at Jackie Fox in the Runaways...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version