Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

I give up on Epiphone and Gibson

<< < (2/5) > >>

n!k:
Scott, was the Rex Brown Chinese bird this way too or is this just the "1964 Thunderbirds" (perhaps the number 1964 refers to some kind of measurement and not the year...)

uwe:
"Why they just couldn't leave it alone is beyond me."

I'm trying to put some sense to it. I have a hunch they wanted to achieve something with it. Making a proper angle with a neck-thru is more tricky than leaving it straight/flat. To make lower action more easily achievable even for someone who is not quite so experienced in setting up a bass? Did they perhaps reduce the backward angle of the TBird headstock in the process to make it less break-prone?

I know, I know, you guys are like the Supreme Court,

mostly Originalists (except when it doesn't match the own agenda of course), but what if the deviation from the original is an improvement? It does happen, you know.

I'm crawling back under my rock. But in almost 30 years of playing TBirds it has never bothered me whether the neck joint (with a neck-thru it's not really a "joint") has an angle as long as the bass sounds good and can be set up well.

Or are these new TBirds set neck rather than neck-thru? If that's the case, why the excitement at all, because in my book they are then not real TBirds anyway. It's no matter what you do, but no messin' with the neck-thru!

Now gang up on me, I'll be your martyr!

n!k:
Since it was a slow work day I decided to summarize the issue at hand

godofthunder:
   Sigh. I don't have the energy to pursue this topic any longer, discuss amongst yourselves if you desire. I  am just baffled how they could take something as near perfect as the Vintage Pro and F it up. I need to lie down it's making my head hurt.

gearHed289:
Weird. Looks like more trouble to build that way.

--- Quote from: saltymonkey on March 08, 2024, 11:00:49 AM ---I wish sellers would stop treating the white ones like collectors items.
--- End quote ---

Yup! White is almost always a premium. Looks so good though!

My Les Paul fingerboard sits flat on the body.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version