Author Topic: Solid state drives rock!  (Read 490 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Solid state drives rock!
« on: December 27, 2013, 01:22:51 PM »
I've been somewhat bummed by the long boot time of my Lenovo Z580 laptop although it's an 2.9 GHZ i7 processor with 8 GB of RAM.  For Christmas, my lovely wife (with my assistance) ordered a Crucial solid state drive for it, along with an install kit which included Acronis software and a USB adapter that plugged into the new drive (same contacts as the original drive.)

After some failures, working with tech support I got the original disc cloned to the new solid state drive, and now boot time is only 30 seconds from off to fully functional!  WOO HOO!!

I'll be interested to see whether the battery lasts longer as well...should be interesting to check it out.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Solid state drives rock!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
I did that with my current Dell laptop before I ever fired it up.  Didn't require anything but installing the Samsung 256MB drive and reloading the software.  Full Boot in 30 seconds, shutdown in 15.  Battery life is great.  With 1080P HDMI output it pushes my 43" monitor as well as doing road work at 720P.  UltraBook on a budget.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Solid state drives rock!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 04:55:26 PM »
I did that with my current Dell laptop before I ever fired it up.  Didn't require anything but installing the Samsung 256MB drive and reloading the software.  Full Boot in 30 seconds, shutdown in 15.  Battery life is great.  With 1080P HDMI output it pushes my 43" monitor as well as doing road work at 720P.  UltraBook on a budget.

Yup, got an Untrabook at work and was surprised by its boot speed with an SSD.  Decided it was time for the same in my home laptop.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."