Author Topic: Is there an instrument "missing" from your herd that you would love to find...?  (Read 3753 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
... for whatever reason...

I once asked Uwe about his FP EB1 and he did not but her for that reason, she was a prime example for Ze Kollection and I know his Explorer is technically rarer than the original three, but I would be surprised if he did not declare an interest in one of those, if not all three...

I bought my Peter Cook purely because she spoke to me through the glass of the shop I first saw her in but could not afford at the time, but a year later when I tried to buy a white EB2 that lady moved to the Bruce Foxton and the Thunderbird was back, twenty pounds cheaper... mine...!

Strangely enough I have a yearning to own a CF Martin (out of my range for the forseeable) and I must admit to loving the idea of owning the Hank Williams one that belongs to Neil Young... that one would have such an interesting story to tell if she could...

Hank and Neil's 1941 D28...

Anyone care to share any stories of how they came to own their "baby", or something they would love care for...?

I'd still like to get a "real" EB2 or a Rivoli; one day... one day...

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:46:03 AM by BUFF »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever coveted an instrument...?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:12:05 AM »
I didn't even own a Mountain CD when I bought (one of) Felix' EB 1, I knew Mississippi Queen, Nantucket Sleighride and Theme from an Imaginary Western, that was it. I only bought a compilation afterwards because I felt guilty not having anything from them ... The dramatic aspects (shot by wife), if I'm perfectly honest, held more of a morbid fascination for me than Felix' legacy as a bassist.

It's difficult for me to imagine a celebrity owned instrument where the celebrity factor would be of real importance to me, not even a Deep Purple bassist pre-owned one would mean that much to me. I like to know where an instrument is from though, like my Allen Woody which belonged to Dr Bassman or my 86 TBird owned by George C. That has an affectionate interest because I know these people and if only through this forum.

Or basses with a story like my gun hole EB-0L or my Bicentennial "that came came from the cold". It had found its way to East Berlin and was played in an East German blues band until the wall fell. The irony of a bass commemorating the "imperialist" USA being played, red, white and blue eagle and all, in a communist country for decades never fails to fascinate me. There can't have been a lot of Bicentennials in East Germany, let me tell you, you hardly saw them in West Germany. The only German "celebrity" bassist I can think of who played one was the bass player of Kraut proggies Eloy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:09:34 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 12:54:13 PM »
Have I ever coveted a instrument hahahahahahahahahahha Kenny you make me laugh!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 03:32:37 PM »
There are a handful of musicians whose guitar or bass I would be proud to own. Any of those would have meaning for me but I don't covet them.

Highlander

• View Profile
Is there an instrument out there that would make your herd complete...?
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 02:44:28 AM »
Have I ever coveted a instrument hahahahahahahahahahha Kenny you make me laugh!

Any day of the week with NR in it, yep...? ;D

I like the idea of a "well-used" instrument that has been responsible for making a lot of good music but I didn't mean a "specific artist" instrument, like an old Dobro that had been owned by an old blues-player, not somebody known, just something with a "vibe" to it... I love blues and I specifically love slide; my old SG I have set-up for slide playing and mostly do that "lap" fashion when I do which is not often enough...

There are a number of instruments (bass) I'd love to own but I'd only want to own them to use, not for who owned them...

I've changed the header from this one... "covet" is probably the wrong word for what I meant...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:49:55 AM by BUFF »
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Yes, there is an instrument missing from my collection I'd love to find; my stolen Jerry Jones.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
One of these days I'll add an Ampeg AEB.  That's all.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
One of these days I'll add an Ampeg AEB.  That's all.

Stay tuned.  Things may be happening.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• View Profile
+1 on that, Denis...

nofi

• View Profile
 thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's basses..... :mrgreen:

catholic school raises its head.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:15:31 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's basses..... :mrgreen:

catholic school raises its head.

That's EXACTLY what I flashed on.  Curse you Sisters of NoMercy.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
I would like a Korina Non Reverse thunderbird II and also an 8 string just like the one I built that Tom has. I guess I'll just have to build them.

ilan

• View Profile
A nice Hofner Senator that doesn't need a neck reset.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
there are 5 Basses i covet.
1. Rickenbacker 4003 in Jet glow (or anything except Maple Glow)
2. Guild B-301 any color except natural.
3. Gibson NR Thunderbird
4. Fender Telecaster bass w/ neck humbucker.
5. Electra Outlaw MPC

i could probably think of a whole bunch more but these 5 have been at the top of my list for a while.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Highlander

• View Profile
I have still never, ever, ever, played a genuine Thunderbird (with the exception of handling one briefly last year) , not even the one I tried to buy in '79 when I ended up buying the RD...

That would be high up there, a white one...