Author Topic: Burmans Handyside arcade Newcastle(a bit of nostalgia cica 73)  (Read 1816 times)

rayojets

• View Profile
I worked for Gregg Burman for a short time...18 months. my duties being: Covering the cabs, fitting the speakers and wiring the cabs and assiting Roy the electronics engineer build the amps. Dave cut out and built the cabs and Colin worked in all departments. I myself also carried out deliveries of the amps and cabs to customers. John Chaytor (a very good bass player) was Greggs partener, his duties where to sit in the front window of the shop and eye up anything in a skirt. Burmans was a hub for the North East bands such as, Influnce, Brass Alley,Gas board,West One, Junco Partners and many more. At any time you could bring back your gear and Roy the electronics lad would work with you to get that bit extra sound to your taste. I remember a band by the name "IF" visiting the shop and the bass player made a special build request of Burmans.......One cab containing 6 yes 6 x 18" Fane speakers and two 4x18 the 3 units where fitted with heavy duty castors.... driven by 4 200 watt custom amps using K.T. 88 double pull push....The equipment was used at the City Hall Newcastle. John Chaytor test run the gear and they were loud !!!!! Due to the vibration the heads were placed on foam pads and sat on the floor. The band was less than impressive but the bass gear worked realy well. Burmans gear was bullet proof weighed a ton but give in my mind for the time a great sound at a very reasonable  price. Gregg sufferd a stroke some years ago and I spoke with him early last year and is in fine spirits.  I also worked at the time as road crew for a local band from South Shields "Beckett" with my still good friend Gordon Ramm. The members at the time being : Bill Campbell (black Richenbacker bass), Alan Criag (drums premier), Arthur Ramm (Guitar/vocals Les Paul gold Top), Leslie Tones (Lead Guitar Les paul custom black top 3 pick up) and Terry Slesser (vocals).

rayojets

• View Profile
Re: Burmans Handyside arcade Newcastle(a bit of nostalgia cica 73)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »
Beckett...The last line up and only one original member. Terry Slesser(vocals). this line includes: Bob Barton (lead guitar), Keith Fisher (Drums), Terry Slesser (vocals), Kenny Mountain (second guitar) and Frankie Gibbon (bass)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: Burmans Handyside arcade Newcastle(a bit of nostalgia cica 73)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:38:51 PM »
Can't say that I am familiar with your work, but welcome to the Bass Outpost!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT