Author Topic: I hope this doesn't cause any permanent damage!  (Read 3299 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I hope this doesn't cause any permanent damage!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 03:31:12 PM »

Don't you have shoulders, George?

Depending on the people behind us I would certainly seat him on my shoulders. I just don't want to be blocking someone else's view for the whole night. He's pretty light so it'd be no big deal for me. At 13 though? You are a dedicated father!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 03:57:18 PM »
I thought as much too!!!

He regularly uses mascara now though so I do wonder whether taking him to Herr Halford gave the wrong ideas. Not that Kiss would have been any better in that respect. He saw them too, but by that time was almost as tall as me.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 04:14:30 PM »
I think the Fraulein and I can attest to the fact that a little mascara never hurt anyone! ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 05:46:40 PM »
But with you it was against your will!

You said.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 06:09:45 PM »
Oh, I never said I didn't wear it long before that afternoon... During my rocker years I never left home without it!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 02:21:30 AM »
Small details have never obstructed my clear view of the deep and hidden truth!

He actually asked for - and received - mascara pens on his 16th birthday two days ago. I refused and gave him something manly: a Gibson Firebird V. Well, he had always told me that I should only play Thunderbirds and on his way back in time only recently discovered Johnny Winter. He was over the moon with it. If the kid is so determined to turn rock star (as only a 16 year old can), then he shall at least not blame likely lack of success in reaching that goal on lack of proper equipment.

And I like Firebirds myself, the sustain of those things is endless, yet they have a Fenderish attack and clarity. It always escapes me why guitarists do not play them more often. I don't find the clichée you sometimes read of them of sounding "messy" and "billowing" (allegedly due to the neck-thru construction) in a band setting confirmed at all. Any regular humbucker LP will mud more.

Uwe

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 10:03:55 AM »
I think the Fraulein and I can attest to the fact that a little mascara never hurt anyone! ;)

;)

But it can be like a drug to some of us, makeup *is* lots of fun!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
My first concert was Alice Cooper so I can't complain, though at the time I was ten years older than my boy will be for his.
...and what did you use for hearing protection?
Oh, I'm sorry.
I said,
WHAT DID YOU USE FOR HEARING PROTECTION?!!!
 ;D ;)
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 10:50:15 AM »
Ear plugs are like condoms, they, errrm, fit a purpose, but are no fun.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 11:48:48 AM »
I think I've worn ear plugs three times in a musical setting over the last 30 years and I know I yanked 'em out every time. My hearing has suffered for it too. If my kids choose to follow in a musical direction I plan on training them at a young age to wear proper hearing protection. I wish I'd gotten used to them and not worried about them not being 'cool' when I was young. If there's any background noise at all I have to have a direct line of sight 90% of the time to understand anything my wife or kids are saying. Being able to hear a wide variety of frequencies in your 30s and 40s is much cooler than not being able to.

Uwe, Paul Stanley's favorite guitar was a black Firebird I he can be seen 'playing' on the cover of Alive. He got it as a natural and had it refinished. At some point it lost its headstock and he's quoted as saying that after it was repaired it never sounded the same. I don't know but it may have been stolen after that anyway. Over the years I've always wished he'd find another one because it was a killer sounding guitar (I'm pretty sure it's what you hear him playing on Alive, doctored tracks or not). Looked cool on him too. I imagine at some point I'll get a Firebird (either for me or one of my sons). I like the one or two pickup models...