Author Topic: I hope this doesn't cause any permanent damage!  (Read 3298 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I hope this doesn't cause any permanent damage!
« on: June 24, 2010, 04:52:23 PM »
I just got tickets to take my 5 year old to see KISS in September. He discovered them a few years ago when he spied the cover to Gene's book on my bookshelf and wanted to know who it was. Since then he's always thought they were 'cool'. Of course, his only reference is old DVDs and YouTube videos of the band in their prime. I figure his youth and the sheer spectacle of it will cover for Paul's blown out voice or any other issues, though he's gonna be pissed when I have to explain that that's not Ace up there...

My first concert was Alice Cooper so I can't complain, though at the time I was ten years older than my boy will be for his. Lucky kid!

Anybody have any tips on appropriate sized hearing protection for a five year old?

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: I hope this doesn't cause any permanent damage!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »
Lucky kid with a cool dad 8)  As far as hearing protection I would suggest the standard foam type ear plugs.  They're easily squished up and then go in easily, they work well and, most importantly, they're fairly comfortable.  These are standard issue at all of the palnts I go into to work.  Look for the ones that are bullet shaped - they stay in better and they are much more comfortable the squared off plug type.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:16:08 PM »
with a 5 year old boy of my own I'm interested too.
Digresion our specialty!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:31:48 PM »
Lucky kid with a cool dad 8)  As far as hearing protection I would suggest the standard foam type ear plugs.  They're easily squished up and then go in easily, they work well and, most importantly, they're fairly comfortable.  These are standard issue at all of the palnts I go into to work.  Look for the ones that are bullet shaped - they stay in better and they are much more comfortable the squared off plug type.

The first reunion tour with makeup was my then 5 year old daughters first concert. She LOVED it!! She got hooked at a very young age when she saw a little bit of that classic movie "KISS meets the Phantom".  :rolleyes:  We used the same type of foam plugs that Lightyear is talking about. Seemed to stay in fine after a little trimming.

You'll enjoy this as much as he will  ;)
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:54:10 PM »
The first reunion tour with makeup was my then 5 year old daughters first concert. She LOVED it!!

No wonder! Other than a great show in their prime (IMO), those reunion shows were the best KISS ever sounded. Your daughter is a lucky girl. I saw them 5 times on that tour and was still jealous I couldn't see more!

I'll pick up some bullet ear plugs. That's what I used when I used to sleep days and they were great. I was hoping I could use plugs and not any kind of headphones. I think I'm more excited thinking about it than he is, and he's STOKED!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 04:14:02 AM »
When I saw them recently they were better than on the Alive 30 year commemoration tour. Paul's voice is much better again (though it escapes me why he has to YELL all his announcements in his singing voice rather than just talking to people in his regular voice, that can't be good), the whole band is more agile and sometimes they even jam a little though they will never be The Grateful Dead. Junior/your Wicked little Lester won't be disappointed. And Beth sung by Herr Singer in an unplugged version is a real treat.

Uwe
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:08:57 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 05:15:38 AM »
I just got tickets to take my 5 year old to see KISS in September.

Awesome! My dad took me to see KISS around '77/'78 and it is a story I've always enjoyed telling. He will love it!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 06:17:09 AM »
KISS will be a great initiation into what real rock concerts should be like.  For ear protection, I'd look for the Sonic II plugs at Sam Ash or GC.  Rather than plug her ears, use a db filter to cut down the volume, but still allow better sound reception.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 08:26:54 AM »

My first concert was Alice Cooper so I can't complain, though at the time I was ten years older than my boy will be for his. Lucky kid!

Damn, you just made me feel REAL old. I delivered the check to Alice Cooper for one of their first, if not THE first gig in Monroe Michigan.
A buddy of mine was the promoter and I did him a favor by dropping it off. They were strange and real loose in those early days. I did not see success in their future at that time :o
Rick

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 08:40:25 AM »
I did not see success in their future at that time :o

Yeah, the band that you hear on those first two indy albums is very different from the band they became!

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Took my son to see Clutch last week.  They are a loud band.
There were several kids there...all of them appeared to be wearing the Vic Firth drummer's hearing protection.
My 11 year old is a drummer and he wears them when he practices.

Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 10:14:17 AM »

Kiss was a wonderful influence on me...............

I'm completely normal  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 11:00:49 AM »
Honest too... ;D

My only advice is thought on the view - if it is a gig where lots of people stand up you have a problem... when the three of us saw Rush on the last tour and most of the crowd stood for the whole show, I (6'1") had no problem... Jackie (5'3") and Roshina (5'5") had major problems...

Next time will be in the tiered seats...

Bear that in mind...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 11:30:33 AM »
My wife had a pre-sale code through work so I had really great choices when getting tickets online. The first ones that came up were in the first section, stage right, in row 14. I turned them down for the very reasons you mentioned, Kenny. I ended up getting front row seats in the second section back, so there's 15 feet between us and the next row of seats (a walkway that will essentially be clear during the show). I'll have him stand on his chair and he'll be able to see the whole stage perfectly. I think it'll make for a great experience for him and of course, me. I'll watch him, and he'll watch KISS. :)

I was amazed when I went to an online ticket agency afterward and found seats in the same section 10 rows back going for over $500! I got mine through the box office so they were at the published price ($85 each).

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 03:20:18 PM »
"I'll have him stand on his chair and he'll be able to see the whole stage perfectly."

Don't you have shoulders, George? I had my son sitting on my shoulders when he saw his first rock concert - Judas Priest - at their reunion a few years back. He was 13 at the time and darn was I happy when they got to the encore!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...