Author Topic: Well, Uwe, he finally did it...  (Read 993 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Well, Uwe, he finally did it...
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2022, 07:46:22 AM »
He looks good. Happy for him. Great singer. I saw that cheap shot that grandma Coverdale threw at him years ago. Petty dick move. Old rock stars are so fragile, it's embarrassing to read about sometimes.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2022, 08:54:23 AM »
That even has some of the old Fandango vibe, very nice. It could have indeed used a better mix though, sounds like someone left the dolby noise reduction button on with a third generation rip-off tape.

Well, that was part of the issue. Here's a link to a thread on "The Highway Star" with both sides personally articulated in the main post (by JLT) and subsequently, the comments section (by Rolaf and others). We report, you decide...
https://www.thehighwaystar.com/news/2011/08/02/jlts-open-letter/
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2022, 08:54:32 AM »
I saw DP with Joe Lynn Turner. I wish I hadn't.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2022, 09:54:27 AM »
Did Joe and Blackmore use the same wig fitter back in the day?

It's a bold look. I've been shaving my head since I was 25 or so, so I'm all for it!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2022, 10:57:00 AM »

I do wonder how public this was when Joe joined Rainbow. Blackmore probably didn't mind Joe's wig (given his own legendary hair weave which was then quite new), but he would have never allowed him to front Rainbow bald. Blackers was obsessed with long hair as part of the hard rock image then - Joe's predecessor Graham Bonnet with his neat James Dean crop caught flak for not letting his hair grow longer.

And Reb Beach is on record for stating in an interview that as a Whitesnake member you are not allowed to have grey hair by orders of the boss. Or short hair, only the chick bassist (badly pasted in on this pic) is allowed to have an undercut of sorts.

All very silly and insecure. When Halford cut his hair short with Priest in 1978 or so, I immediately liked the look. It set him and the band apart.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 11:12:32 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2022, 01:36:10 PM »
I saw DP with Joe Lynn Turner. I wish I hadn't.

I heard the bootleg recording of that gig, Hebrew introduction and all (it was a radio show I believe), I think it was the last one of that particular line-up and the writing was on the wall already - and not because it took place in the Holy Land! Glover, Lord and Paice + the management wanted Gillan back, Blackmore was the only one loyal to Turner, but losing his once iron grip on the band. The planned US tour had failed to ignite audiences and was shelved; the Purple organisation wasn't making money. Covert advances were made to Blackmore with extra money and a future Rainbow reunion to coax him into letting Ian Gillan return while no one was talking to Joe. Not a happy gig then.

I had seen them at the second Hammersmith gig in London some months before (they played three nights there), that was a good one and the line-up then stll thought it had a future. Blackmore was obviously enjoying Turner's singing & company and therefore at ease with himself, something he very rarely was with DP on stage throughout their career. That gave the gig a Dire Straits'y atmosphere, but it was musically fulfilling if you ignored some of Joe's more cringeworthy mannerisms.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2022, 01:38:09 PM »
Okay, who's next?

Doogie White?

John Norum?

Minstrel Blackmore?

Little Ian?

Paul Rodgers?

Gene Simmons?

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2022, 01:02:39 AM »
I heard the bootleg recording of that gig, Hebrew introduction and all (it was a radio show I believe)

They played two dates, what you heard was the second, which was a disaster ending with Blackmore leaving the stage and refusing to play an encore. I was at the first show.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2022, 09:18:14 AM »
Leaving stage in a huff, the ole diva did that so often I lost count. Bang! and the Strat goes out of the pram. The Miles Davis of hard rock guitar.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2022, 02:00:47 AM »
The Miles Davis of hard rock guitar.

Nailed it.