Author Topic: Mighty Toilet Warriors  (Read 12084 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Mighty Toilet Warriors
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 01:21:56 PM »
That's too bad. OTOH I think mold problems as a health hazard are way overstated. Yes, you need to get rid of it and fix the cause, but if you're not having health problems now, then you probably never will.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
I can only recommend low level living having been in a bungalow for 21 years on the 22nd, and 21 years of plumbing work as part of my duties round the bars - I can even do lead-work (PB) when I have to but always drew the line at anything bigger than 1 1/2" - sorry I can only be there for you in spirit, Al...

If you have to make the hard decisions ensure pipework is not "buried" and in a "riser" of some sort, with no inaccessible joints, and don't trust push-fits - guaranteed to keep plumbers in business for many years to come, especially on warm systems...

I tend to stick to these rules...
Never bury pipework unless you really have to, because it's not the insurance, it's the inconvenience you have to consider in the end...
How does it come apart...? It does not matter how it goes together, it's how does the poor sucker have to get at it to repair it...?
Always make a map of all your services, and make it accurate...
I don't touch gas equipment... one of only two service contracts I have, that and the laundry/drier...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 10:58:11 PM »

That sounds pretty ugly Al.
Hope it gets better.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »

That sounds pretty ugly Al.
Hope it gets better.

It DID get better!!  OK, pop quiz, what does this look like?

If you said "a penny soldered onto the front of a copper drainpipe" YOU WIN!!

The leak turned out to be a hole drilled into the drainpipe, even with the bottom of the above-range microwave which I personally mounted there a few years ago.  There was no screw in that hole, but I have to own it.  I must have dried to drill a mounting hole there and hit the pipe, then decided I couldn't use that spot.

The plumber said he could see that the hole was tapered, so the best we can figure, I drilled JUST enough to create a pinhole in the pipe, which corroded over time until it got big enough to leak.  That  leak is what created mold in the wall behind the range and got the basement wet.

The solution?  He said: "you know, I've heard for years that plumbers used to solder a penny onto a copper pipe to fix this kind of hole.  I've always wanted to try it."

So he had a nice shiny 2013 penny and soldered it in, even making sure Abe Lincoln's image was correctly vertical.  The bill lists materials as: "Copper patch" and cost is "1 cent". 

He took lots of pictures.  I have a feeling that this is one story he'll pass around to his friends.  His two visits cost me only $130.01.

Insurance coverage is still uncertain, but finding this leak makes a big difference in the cost.  Now I can probably get by for the cost of peeling out some insulation and replacing a small patch of floorboard, plus some carpet.  I'm feeling MUCH better.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »
You could not do that with a UK penny these days as they have long ceased to have any copper in them... and they stick to magnets...

Nice to have a result though...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 07:20:39 PM »
I sure hope it works and that no other metals in the penny react with copper and water.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 05:03:08 AM »
Very little copper in today's penny, it's basically copper plated zinc (pot metal):

97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper (core: 99.2% zinc, 0.8% copper; plating: pure copper)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 08:15:01 AM »
Very little copper in today's penny, it's basically copper plated zinc (pot metal):

97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper (core: 99.2% zinc, 0.8% copper; plating: pure copper)

Rut rho!  As long as he didn't melt the copper surface, I would think it will be fine.  Am I being too optimistic?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 08:16:59 AM »
I feel your pain Al.  I'm refurbing our downstairs powder room.  Gutted it a couple weeks ago.  Got the new tile floor and toilet valve done.  Wood trim next then the vanity wars begin!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 10:48:32 AM »
Rut rho!  As long as he didn't melt the copper surface, I would think it will be fine.  Am I being too optimistic?

He actually gave me a rundown on the metallurgy of the penny while he was soldering it on.  The key here is that it's an unpressurized drain pipe and we only need a good solid plug for the hole.  He was careful not to melt it, but to wick solder behind and around it.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
He actually gave me a rundown on the metallurgy of the penny while he was soldering it on.  The key here is that it's an unpressurized drain pipe and we only need a good solid plug for the hole.  He was careful not to melt it, but to wick solder behind and around it.

Yeah, a drain pipe should be fine.  I hope to have my project finished by next Sunday.  It's going fast now.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 02:15:03 PM »

Just wanted to say I'm working on replacing the entire flush/fill mechanism on the basement toilet today..........Ranks right up there with having your fingernails pulled out with vice grips.  :sad:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »
What a wuss... nothing your girly hands can't handle...  ;D (mind you, when someone is out of their "comfort" zone... :o) we expect pictures of the disaster area please...

Al... if that's a down-pipe (thought it looked a bit large) he could have "wiped" some solder over the surface and it would hold so you should be fine...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »
I have high hopes to finish this one before year's end.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 03:05:01 PM »
What a wuss... nothing your girly hands can't handle...  ;D (mind you, when someone is out of their "comfort" zone... :o) we expect pictures of the disaster area please...

Al... if that's a down-pipe (thought it looked a bit large) he could have "wiped" some solder over the surface and it would hold so you should be fine...

Ask and ye shall recieve.................. ;)
How off-duty drag queens spend their day away from work  :-\

My hands are soft from the water, no bass playing for at least 45 mins.