Author Topic: Letting it out: My 80ies Guilty Pleasure ...  (Read 9887 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Letting it out: My 80ies Guilty Pleasure ...
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2012, 08:54:24 AM »
I don't know why the video embedding doesn't work like it should sometimes. Part of the problem is that YT keeps making small changes, part of the problem is with the forum software add-on that allows them to appear.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »
Yeah, I noticed all mine were just showing the URL.

Thomas Dolby - yeah! The Flat Earth is a great record!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
I confess that after the 70's, my musical memory kind of skips and jumps through successive decades.  I know there has been music I've enjoyed, but I really haven't paid attention to who did it unless it was something I really liked.  A big reason for that was probably the layoff I took in playing music from 1973-1996.  I had no particular reason to pay attention because I wasn't trying to pick stuff to play.

I'm very impressed with the musical memories of everyone here.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »
I confess that after the 70's, my musical memory kind of skips and jumps through successive decades.  I know there has been music I've enjoyed, but I really haven't paid attention to who did it unless it was something I really liked.  A big reason for that was probably the layoff I took in playing music from 1973-1996.  I had no particular reason to pay attention because I wasn't trying to pick stuff to play.

I'm very impressed with the musical memories of everyone here.

I went through the same thing.  I admire the musical memories and also the musicianship of people who have been playing music nonstop all their lives, without those skips and jumps.  I wish I could have done it that way.  Circumstances seemed to dictate otherwise. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2013, 06:59:19 AM »
Had to add this one to the pile.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2013, 07:49:35 AM »
and another.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2013, 09:57:06 AM »
Back then, wild boys wore leather and wielded Kubickis ...

I admit getting my Kubicki because of him!

I actually got my first Kubicki right around the same time as Taylor did but not because of him (he owned three..black, white and a later graphic one w/wireless.) One of the local music stores our band bought gear from called me up and said "you need to come in today..I just got something in I think you will want."  He'd just gotten three ExFactors in from the NAMM show that Kubicki just debuted the basses at. I'd been playing short-scale 4- and 8-string basses up until then and the Kubicki plyed incredible and they 32-inch scale nearly felt the same as my short-scales. So, I bought the custom violetburst one on the spot and it became my main bass for the next six years. I still own it, along with quite a few other Kubickis (Factors and otherwise.)
They helped waen me off of short-scale basses and eventually onto long-scale ones. They also got me to learn to slap and pop.

FYI...Phil Kubicki told me that the production basses really didn't start until SN#s just after #100...he considered the ones under that prototypes because he was still changing little things on them. The first SN# one was actually in the SN#30's range, not SN01. Besides my original one, I've got a couple in the SN#30-40 range and others under #100 and they all do vary a bit.

Here's a pic from early 1986 at the Cat Club NYC...yes, Kubicki and red leather :)   I recall that I actually forgot my red roadcase with the bass that night and left it on the piano bench on stage behing the baby grand!! I realised it as I got out of my car when I got home, an hour away. I totally freaked out because I'd just gotten the Kubicki a couple weeks earlier. I called a girl in NYC and asked her to go back and get it for me. The club was closed and she actually sat outside untilt he next afternoon when it reopened, so it didn't magically "disappear." Last time I ever did that.

I wrote a Kubicki feature 12 years ago that still gets referenced in EBAY ads, etc.
http://mc2.freeservers.com/kubicki.htm

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »
When I first got the Holy Crap bass, a friend of mine was going to route the bridge cavity for me.  I left the bass with him in a bar we used to hang out in.  Six weeks later... SIX WEEKS...I found the bass sitting in the corner behind the bar, where he had forgotten it.  Nobody touched it the entire time it sat there.

Then, there's the story of a bag full of money and checks (over $25,000) in all that sat in a brown paper bag behind the load in door at a big Michigan club I used to play. REO Speedwagon had lost it.  Hundreds of cars/people and several bands loaded in within 10 feet of that bag over a couple of months.  A kid playing football in the parking lot found it on a Saturday afternoon.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »
Kubicki and Duran - guilty pleasure alright!  :mrgreen:  I still have my long scale Factor, serial no 100, 05/88.

Those red leathers were very fetching on you, Jon!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2013, 08:18:50 AM »
Kubicki and Duran - guilty pleasure alright!  :mrgreen:  I still have my long scale Factor, serial no 100, 05/88.

Those red leathers were very fetching on you, Jon!

Uwe...By long-scale, do you mean your's is a non-Drop D one? Probably has the early control cavity cover with the bit of dogear sticking out by the input jack?   Got any pics?  My only non-rop D one is candy red that I got from Stu Hamm...he said Satriani MADE him get a longscale one because he kept saying he could actually HEAR the diference in the Low E on the 32-nch scale one, claiming it wasn't fat enough. Good ears of BS by Satriani?

I managed to find ExFactor SN#212 (NYC area code where I was born)  AND Kubicki mini Les Paul SN#212 (ex-Kerry Livgren's) as well.                                 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
I hear the difference between a medium scale and long scale on the E too! I even find the E string on a Ric not quite in the same league as on a P Bass or TBird, it's close but not quite there yet.

I have a "Factor" - those were long scale without the two fret extension on the mini headstock. The ones that had that feature were "X-Factors". I'll take a look at the control cavity tonight.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2013, 11:45:22 AM »
Had to add this one to the pile.

Beat you to it earlier in thread :P

More Saturday morning pre-hockey and newspaper delivery video hits.

Can't stand anything else by those guys, but the video was awesome and the synth bits were cool even if the production is lame.

The first concert I ever went to was these guys (better musicians than given credit for I think).  This song got me into them, but the tour I caught was for the next record:

I remember that vid being really different; old out door ampitheatre ruins with longer crane shots vs this , but maybe it was another song.... aha:

I was young and impressionable OK.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2013, 12:35:56 PM »
Sorry Mark but nobody did androgeny better than this dude.

This came out in the 80's too. Wonder if they'll ever remaster El Loco

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2013, 01:21:37 AM »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal