Author Topic: With all due respect: Golden Earring are overdrumming it here ...  (Read 9490 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: With all due respect: Golden Earring are overdrumming it here ...
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 10:22:10 AM »
"Ashamed is not the word."

Second try!

The one thing you can say about these three young lasses is that they at least don't have a homocide track record as regards referees. (Note to self: I have no recollection about referees being murdered by soccer fans in the fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties or noughties. Something is wrong about sports mania these days.  :-\)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 11:08:19 AM »
Damn; that's everything that's bad about ABBA and Boney M rolled into one ball of crap.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
Did all the drummers jump over their kits at the end of the song?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 01:34:20 PM »
On another thread, I have been accused of being a lustful leviathan IT WASN'T ME!!! UWE for saying that a case could be made for Hitchcock girls and the Lauren Bacall-types.  In my defense, I can offer this example.  Rinus Gerritsen actually wrote this, although he isn't singing.  He explains better than most what it's like to be young and fall under the spell of a brown-eyed girl.  This is an edited, short version.  It sounds very 80ish, of course.  The lyrics (with mistakes) are on the screen, though and the lyrics are the main point of this anyway.  

Here is a Golden Earring song (based on a true, sad story) which is a song about friendship.  I don't think it was much of a hit in the U.S., although it did receive the attention it deserved elsewhere.  I think the vocals are excellent--those of Barry Hay and the high parts sung by George Kooymans.  

When I first saw the Twilight Zone video on MTV years ago, it was like watching a spy movie.  But the song itself was great then and still sounds great now.  

Countless other examples could be given.  The last from the new album can probably best be appreciated if you're more jaded than young.  

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:21:00 PM by uwe »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 06:22:23 PM »
Did all the drummers jump over their kits at the end of the song?

Another classic aspect of GE!!! As an adolescent, I thought it was impressive.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »
"Ashamed is not the word."

Second try!

The one thing you can say about these three young lasses is that they at least don't have a homocide track record as regards referees. (Note to self: I have no recollection about referees being murdered by soccer fans in the fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties or noughties. Something is wrong about sports mania these days.  :-\)

Ok 1:57 was all I could take.......You owe me, Herr Moderator!  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »
Another classic aspect of GE!!! As an adolescent, I thought it was impressive.

I've read a lot about that, but I've never seen it.  I've never seen a Golden Earring concert not even on YouTube, although I should.  I also don't have any DVDs.  I do have about 14 or so of their CDs, though. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 09:49:52 PM »
An old friend of mine is a huge Golden Earring fan.  He sent me a copy of this.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »
^
I think listening to Golden Earring in the U.S. now is almost like being part of an underground movement.  Their new album costs over $30.  I happened to get a 30 percent discount, so that wasn't too bad.  But obviously they're only aiming at a small niche market.  I just got it in the mail today and have finally heard all the songs.  So far, "Little Time Bomb" is my favorite song.  Several of the songs seem to have been intentionally written from the perspective of aging rockers.

I've just been reading some comments under the review of the 2009 compilation album "Collected."

"I thought this band just had one song called Radar Love."

"I thought this band just had one song--This is a Madhouse, Feels Like Being Cloned."

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:36:07 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 06:22:24 AM »
I like the new album, it's a vintage work, these guys need not prove anything anymore. I like Hay's vocals, Dutch accent or not, he sounds like no one else (kind of like Klaus Meine whose English is much worse). The new release is nicely sixties-ish in places, I like that as well.

They are a Dutch institution, I respect them.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 07:54:33 AM »
I like Hay's vocals, Dutch accent or not, he sounds like no one else (kind of like Klaus Meine whose English is much worse).

Barry Hay was born in India. His father was English.
I don't think he has a (strong) Dutch accent. If he does, it never occurred to me  :-\

But it's his (and Kooymans') way of singing that I don't like.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 08:41:48 AM »
The way he bends and extends the vowels sounds Dutch to my Kraut ears! On his solo album there is a pic of his dad in colonial uniform I believe. The one you made derisory remarks in unpatriotic fashion about when I played it to you in our apartment.  :mrgreen:

I never realized that the guitarist sang this song (nor that Hay plays guitar and even lead sometimes) until I saw the vid, but I like his voice too, I don't mind nasal singers (eg Tom Petty, Bill Nelson, Klaus Meine) or speakers though my voice isn't:

If put to a test I might like Buddy Joe even better than Radar Love. BTW: Hay's hair was awe-inspringly great!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:56:39 AM by uwe »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
Skip the first 40 seconds...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »
I like the new album, it's a vintage work, these guys need not prove anything anymore. I like Hay's vocals, Dutch accent or not, he sounds like no one else (kind of like Klaus Meine whose English is much worse). The new release is nicely sixties-ish in places, I like that as well.

They are a Dutch institution, I respect them.

The only song of theirs in which something seemed particularly noticeable to me was "I Do Rock and Roll."  Something like this can be a sensitive issue.  Several years ago, I worked on some songs with a Dutch guitarist/singer.  I had an American friend (who was not even a musician) who kept complaining about the singer's Dutch accent that was coming across in the lyrics.  Finally, her complaining and criticism really began to get on my nerves.  It was one of the many reasons I finally ended our "friendship."  I'd like to see her try to learn Dutch or sing in Dutch without an English accent.  It does go both ways. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
Generally, you yanks are most tolerant and forgiving of accents. I have serious doubts whether someone with as strong a foreign accent as, say, both Henry Kissinger and Arnold Schwarzenegger had when speaking English would have gotten as far in the political system in Germany or The Netherlands as those two did in the US of A. And I've had Americans look incredulously at me and say: "What, the Scoropions are German, I always thought they were an American or perhaps Canadian band?" when Klaus Meine's horrific deutscher Akzent when singing Eeeengleeeesh yells Schkörpiönzzz!!!! at me.

I truly believe it doesn't bug most of you guys and that is something just as truly in favor of you. You yanks are easy-going zat vvvay.