Author Topic: Concerts you regret NOT seeing  (Read 9616 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Concerts you regret NOT seeing
« on: May 26, 2010, 02:42:59 PM »
Just as well put this one in as a new thread!

I regret not seeing Deep Purple, Frank Zappa, and BÖC and Black Sabbath on the Black and Blue Tour.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Concerts you regret NOT seeing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 02:48:38 PM »
I wanted to see The Clash on the Give Em Enough Rope tour but my parents were not cool with that.  I did get a t shirt from it though a few months later.  It was $8 as I recall.  Bo Diddley opened.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:30:24 PM »
I regret not seeing Kiss on their first German tour in 76 (we had a math test the next day), the Ian Gillan Band (the jazzy outfit) and Black Sabbath with Ian Gillan (I thought they would tour at least once more, little did I know a Purple reunion was looming).

I did see Randy Rhoads with Ozzy opening for Whitesnake (the Moody/Marsden line-up). This will break people's hearts here, but I thought he was - much like the young John Sykes - sloppy.

I think I would have liked to see one of the RAH gigs of reunited Cream - tickets sold so quickly, I had no chance.

And I guess I would have liked to have seen UFO in their prime with Michael Schenker and early Judas Priest before Rob joined the Village People. His satin kimonos were always so very fetching!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 03:38:23 PM »
I forgot PAL/Paice Ashton Lord. They deplorably cancelled their German dates when a nervous Tony Ashton fell into the orchestra pit at a Brit gig.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Hornisse

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 03:58:44 PM »
I regret not seeing Queen.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
I regret not seeing the Stones when they were good, and Led Zeppelin.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »
New Year's Eve 1981. It was a choice between Ozzy with Randy at (I think) the L.A. Sports Arena and Motley Crue at the Troubadour in Hollywood. The Motley show meant hanging out with the band backstage after the show and I was convinced they'd be stars in the next year, so I wouldn't get that kind of access forever. Had a GREAT time with Mick Mars after the show. He was waxing nostalgic about finally being on the edge of 'making it', and was really enjoying the ride. At the time I didn't know how long a road he'd traveled to that point, but I could tell it meant a lot to him to be where he was. That night, I knew I'd made the right choice. Also, I knew Ozzy and Randy would be back later in the tour...

I can't say I regret seeing Motley that night, but I obviously never got to see Randy after the accident a few months later. Such is life.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 05:00:16 PM »
I passed up Iron Maiden for Night Ranger in 1984 or so! I enjoyed the Night Ranger show, but it would have been cool to see Maiden - it was the Powerslave tour - never seen them live, but I just wasn't as into them at that point.

I wanted to see Ozzy - it was the Bark at the Moon tour - but my dad wouldn't let me go, because we would have just gotten back to Japan from a trip back to the States - Night Ranger was Japan too, the NHK Hall in Tokyo.

Another one I blew off - Kazumi Watanabe, with Jeff Berlin on bass and Bill Bruford on drums - but it came out on DVD recently, so I've kind of seen it now...

I think my favorite show in Japan that I did see was Deep Purple in 1985 on the Perfect Strangers tour - "Destiny Brought Them Together Again!" (Or so read the t-shirt)

I wish I had seen Stevie Ray Vaughan and/or Frank Zappa, but never had the opportunity...

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 05:13:15 PM »
I regret not seeing Led Zep. I had tix for the tour that was cancelled when Robert Plant's son died and never got another chance. Bonham died within a year or so after. Would have liked to have seen ELP but missed them a couple of times. I also passed on Skynyrd in the late 70's and 10cc on one Thanksgiving night around the same time. I would have really liked to have seen that one. I also missed Queen. Later in my punk years I missed the Dead Kennedys, Black Flag and the Minutemen. Would have loved to have seen all three. I did see Zappa close to ten times including his last tour with a band. Went both nights. I also got to see Floyd on the Animals tour which to this day ranks as one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 05:39:43 PM »
I had tickets to see SRV when he died.
I had tickets to see Steve Miller Band at their zenith and they cancelled. Never got to see them.
I had tickets to Black Sabbath with Ozzy here in Adelaide when they cancelled the Australian tour.
I regret not seeing Led Zep.
I regret not seeing the last Doobie Bros Tour.
I regret not seeing Govt Mule before Woody died. Or ever for that matter.
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 05:49:40 PM »
I regret not seeing Kiss on their first German tour in 76 (we had a math test the next day), the Ian Gillan Band (the jazzy outfit) and Black Sabbath with Ian Gillan (I thought they would tour at least once more, little did I know a Purple reunion was looming).

Uwe - I saw KISS on their first tour in Chicago, and they were excellent.  The openers, Rush, were actually pretty bad at that point.  I saw Sabbath with Gillan (I interviewed him after the show), but you didn't miss anything.  They were pretty mundane.  They did "Smoke on the Water" for an encore, though.  The best part of the show might have been Bev Bevan.  Even Gillan didn't seem to be really in top form.  He joked in the interview that they were contemplating working up "Telephone Line" as their encore.

I was going to get tix for Zeppelin when the news of Bonham's death hit.

I can't remember who I passed up last year or two to go see David Lindley.  His solo work is eclectic, and that's a HUGE understatement.  I had to leave after 30 minutes.  I wish I'd gone to see the band that was in town. They were a new act.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 06:50:32 PM »
Kiss in the fall of 1975 at the Capitol Theatre - it would have been my first concert.
UFO at the Morris Stage in NJ in 1978. I had tickets for UFO three times over the years. This show was the "middle" one - and the only one of the 3 that Schenker actually showed up for. I was flat on my back with the case of mono from hell.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 06:56:07 PM »
"I was flat on my back with the case of mono from hell" Translation? :-[
Digresion our specialty!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »
I saw Sabbath with Gillan. Sabbath with Dio was MUCH better. Gillan just didn't seem like a good fit for them. If I'm remembering right, Quiet Riot opened up the show and sounded and played much better.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 07:54:19 PM »
....................Later in my punk years I missed...... Black Flag.............

Funny, they must come through Houston every couple of months in the late 70's and always played at the Island ( at the time the only punk club in town )  Never knew that they where special until much later -  just another band playing in fire trap dump that was home away from home for a lot of us - on a busy night you had a 50/50 chance of the fire marshall pulling the plug.  I bet I've seen them a dozen times and can't remember a damn thing :sad: