Author Topic: EL84s in SWR IOD preamp  (Read 1091 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
EL84s in SWR IOD preamp
« on: June 28, 2008, 05:51:51 AM »
I just picked up an SWR IOD bass preamp and it has lots of sweet tubey goodness combined with a stack of punch.

It has 1 x 12AX7A  and 2 x EL84 tubes in it.

I haven't yet checked out what brand the 12AX7 is but it sounds very nice so far. I have tube rolled myself around the world a few times both in a NOS and modern tube sense when it comes to AX and AU7 tubes but I have never tried an EL84 before in my life.
The EL84's are Sovtek. They are also microphonic and brittle sounding. So, to the bin they go.

I would love to hear your opinions on what EL84's I should get as replacements and why?

I learned a long time ago that with tubes in bass rigs you cannot listen to the opinions of guitarists or Hi Fi buffs too much because a tube that sounds great in a guitar or Hi Fi amp can sound anaemic or muddy in a bass pre. Well after hundreds of trials (literally) that is my experience.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 06:18:43 AM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: EL84s in SWR IOD preamp
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 05:56:20 AM »
I recommend the Plexi Palace messageboard for good amp discussions. EL84s are used in class A amps like the VOX AC30, so I'll try to find some Vox owners to ask.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 06:16:41 AM »
Thanks Chris
Digresion our specialty!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 06:22:12 AM »
Well I picked up some JJ's and slipped them in before the gig friday night.

As with most JJ's of any kind that I've tried they are solid and functional even if a little one dimensional.
These tubes are fine as backups and spares but serious tone is note here to be found.

I get to try some NOS Tungsrams in a few weeks. Will post my opinions when that happens.
Digresion our specialty!