Author Topic: I hate it when people do this  (Read 2719 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: I hate it when people do this
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 01:52:49 PM »
Gibsondependable hacks up EB0/3's, Rippers etc without anyone lifting an eyebrow?

Yeah, you're right, but they do this very rarely - usually it's new production stuff  and shitty ubiquitous and near unplayable harmonies (and other low end dept store brands that have become fashionable lately).

Above I was talking about the new prod aspect of their business - same as Stratosphere.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 12:06:05 AM »

Above I was talking about the new prod aspect of their business - same as Stratosphere.

Yeah, I was just thinking is there a difference between hacking EB's and Les Paul basses, but I really don't mind.
Of course hacking a fine old bass is bad, but again I have bought probably 10 'hacked' gibson basses over the last 10 years -
maybe 3 of them from Gibsondependable. Ok, they have been in much worse condition than described, one '65 EB0 was described as 'plays great' but had a bad neck reset and about 20mm action at the lowest... but I got them for cheap and they are all good players now. I just never had money to buy 60's Gibson in perfect condition, and by the way there really are no such instruments in my country so ebay shops is a fine option. I have an autosearch for EB0/3 basses, and mid to late 60's EB0/3 projects from Gibsondependable pop into my mail quite often. But I don't know how much merchandise they move, this is probably just a small piece of their business.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 05:24:27 AM »
I'm not all right with parting out vintage gear, but nothing can be done about it.

The Stratosphere is different. Not vintage parts. As I understand it, it's just a guy, with his wife and maybe an assistant. He buys new dealer overstock and mint recent gear, AFAIK he's not authorized by Fender or Gibson.

I've used the Stratosphere once, bought a Squier Mustang neck for a Bronco project.  You just never used to see Fender shortscale necks on eBay.  It was worth the purchase IMO.
The future I come from no longer exists.