Poll

What do you do with your magazine collections?

Keep them
5 (38.5%)
Throw them away/Recycle
2 (15.4%)
Give them away
3 (23.1%)
Sell them
2 (15.4%)
Something I haven't thought of?
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: back issues of Bass Player Magazine, etc.  (Read 3163 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
back issues of Bass Player Magazine, etc.
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:26:42 PM »
So, I'm going through my stuff, moved into a smaller house, realizing that I need to downsize. Then up comes a big old stack of BP. Ten years ago I read through every issue cover to cover, more recently finding it not so interesting. But I feel like, maybe someone would like these? What do you guys do?

The most interesting thing for me is that I started reading Guitar Player back in around 1983 when I was in junior high. Like I say, I used to devour these mags, but recently find myself losing interest, not even necessarily because of a change in a content (though that is probably a factor), I think it is more that my priorities are changing.

Anyway, looking forward to the responses!

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
Re: back issues of Bass Player Magazine, etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »
I have a big stack I can't seem to throw away. Hope I'm not a hoarder.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »
I think I recycled mine.

Print media? What's that?  ;)

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:38:38 PM »
I keep ones that have interviews with players I like or reviews of gear I like(or may purchase) and toss the rest when the next issue arrives.

"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:41:44 PM »
Still trying to figure out what to do with all my old aircraft mags and footie progs...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 04:19:59 PM »
i maybe missing something in translation but grandma used to recycle her old catalogs to the outhouse. if one really doesnt want to throw the old issues away, take a hint from granny. make a standing rack so you can stack a couple of dozen issues on top of one another and put it by the throne to read while doing your duties. if push come to shove and the is no none skid puncture proof on a roll because you forgot to restock, there ya go!  ;D ;)
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 05:59:28 PM »
I started subscribing again, after a twenty year break, about two years ago.  They're a fast read anymore and I wonder I keep up the subscription.  I give mine to a friend who is too cheap to subscribe.

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 06:10:08 PM »
I was a charter subscriber until this year, I let it go. Just seemed like a waste of $$. :bored:

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 06:31:06 PM »
i maybe missing something in translation but grandma used to recycle her old catalogs to the outhouse. if one really doesnt want to throw the old issues away, take a hint from granny. make a standing rack so you can stack a couple of dozen issues on top of one another and put it by the throne to read while doing your duties. if push come to shove and the is no none skid puncture proof on a roll because you forgot to restock, there ya go!  ;D ;)

I take it you voted "Something I haven't thought of?"  ;D

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:53:39 PM »
I slowly gave my stack away.  Every once in a while I come across an old issue or two and read it cover to cover before passing it on.  The only mag I ever keep around anymore is National Geographic.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
So, I'm going through my stuff, moved into a smaller house, realizing that I need to downsize. Then up comes a big old stack of BP. Ten years ago I read through every issue cover to cover, more recently finding it not so interesting. But I feel like, maybe someone would like these? What do you guys do?

I'd be interested if they're ten years old or older. I have every BP I've ever bought except the issue where they published my letter to the editor, which my mother somehow managed to snag from my house and throw away, no kidding.

Like I say, I used to devour these mags, but recently find myself losing interest, not even necessarily because of a change in a content (though that is probably a factor), I think it is more that my priorities are changing.

What is there to be interested in them for? With few exceptions, musicians' mags are mostly ad space, either for gear or for some solo album. Plus it's hard to mass-market written media about exciting music when exciting music is no longer mass-marketed. Popular music was once a visceral experience. Now, it seems like songs are all focus-group tested before they're allowed for public consumption and pablum is the result. There's plenty of good stuff out there now, but you have to convince a sponsor that giving good stuff exposure is in their interest, and bluntly, it's not for most of them. I save all my "good" mags in big plastic storage bins, and even though I get more publications now than ever before, I also save much less of it. Everything else gets recycled.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:44:24 AM »
One can always donate mags to the local library.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »
I'd be interested if they're ten years old or older. I have every BP I've ever bought except the issue where they published my letter to the editor, which my mother somehow managed to snag from my house and throw away, no kidding.

Hey, I've got some old ones! I'm just looking at the stack, and I have an issue here and there back to 1997 - tell me what to look for!

What is there to be interested in them for? With few exceptions, musicians' mags are mostly ad space, either for gear or for some solo album. Plus it's hard to mass-market written media about exciting music when exciting music is no longer mass-marketed. Popular music was once a visceral experience. Now, it seems like songs are all focus-group tested before they're allowed for public consumption and pablum is the result. There's plenty of good stuff out there now, but you have to convince a sponsor that giving good stuff exposure is in their interest, and bluntly, it's not for most of them. I save all my "good" mags in big plastic storage bins, and even though I get more publications now than ever before, I also save much less of it. Everything else gets recycled.

I guess the things that mean the most to me are bass history, like Anthony Jackson's early 6-string basses (in a recent issue), and players that I am interested in, like Phil Lesh or Oteil Burbridge or James Jamerson, or both, like Allen Woody's bass collection. Maybe the fact that they're focused on bass players, they are already dealing with a fringe element  ;) , so even though they still manage to pander to the lowest common denominator, they also have some interesting people sometimes. The latest issue I read had Gary Peacock. Basically I think I just want to learn something new, but maybe my interests are becoming much less bass-oriented?

Anyway, I think I am going to do what someone suggested and comb through them and just keep the ones that have something interesting...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 10:53:59 AM »
Music magazines and car magazines, I used to subscribe to several and I used to love them . It seems like nothing in them holds my intrest anymore.
I'm not sure if it's because I know everything now, or they just aren't what they used to be. I like to think it's because I know everything.......but that's probably not it ;)
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 11:10:12 AM »
One can always donate mags to the local library.

You might be surprised. When I moved 7 years ago my local library didn't want any.