Poll

What do you do with your magazine collections?

Keep them
5 (38.5%)
Throw them away/Recycle
2 (15.4%)
Give them away
3 (23.1%)
Sell them
2 (15.4%)
Something I haven't thought of?
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: back issues of Bass Player Magazine, etc.  (Read 3179 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: back issues of Bass Player Magazine, etc.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 11:59:53 AM »
You might be surprised. When I moved 7 years ago my local library didn't want any.

That was my experience too - I worked in my local library, started as a shelver (my entrance exam was organizing a cart of books by the Dewey Decimal System) then graduated to circulation desk - book donations rarely if ever made it to the shelves, they were usually sold for fund raisers, I don't think we took magazines...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 12:50:35 PM »
Music magazines and car magazines, I used to subscribe to several and I used to love them . It seems like nothing in them holds my intrest anymore.
I'm not sure if it's because I know everything now, or they just aren't what they used to be. I like to think it's because I know everything.......but that's probably not it ;)
Rick

I'm pretty much with you on that. I ended subscriptions a few years ago, and just pick something up at the store once in a while. I just got tired of the same old ads, and the goofy "product reviews". I don't have much interest in new gear these days anyway.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
i sometimes buy 'em. because i ride the subways all the time. i usually hold on to them,i keep 'em in the bathroom under the sink untill it's time to move.then i just chuck 'em.i'm moving in a month again.only been here one year.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 02:03:57 PM »
I'm pretty much with you on that. I ended subscriptions a few years ago, and just pick something up at the store once in a while. I just got tired of the same old ads, and the goofy "product reviews". I don't have much interest in new gear these days anyway.

Ditto.

I trashed most of my Guitar Player and Keyboard mags years ago when I wasn't playing.  I just kept a handful that had something of interest in them.  I don't miss them at all now that similar (or better) content is only a click away.

I still have a lot of those little tear-out 45s that used to ship in them, now that I think of it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 04:26:02 PM »
Sometimes yes, sometimes no...
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »
That was my experience too - I worked in my local library, started as a shelver (my entrance exam was organizing a cart of books by the Dewey Decimal System) then graduated to circulation desk - book donations rarely if ever made it to the shelves, they were usually sold for fund raisers, I don't think we took magazines...

My wife is the circulation manager at a local library.  She started at 16 in the position of "page" - another word for shelver :)  

Like you said most all usable donated books are sold at book sales to fund things that the aren't budgeted and mags are just not needed.