Author Topic: My first essay  (Read 1215 times)

wellREDman

• View Profile
My first essay
« on: October 05, 2015, 06:07:08 AM »
  So, in an attempt to get paid properly for what i do , i am going to try and become certified as a Music Therapist.

Unfortunately the music therapy qualifications are all MA level and I left school with no qualification  so I have a long road ahead.

The first step is an A level equivalent course, To ease myself back in to academia I figured I'd do something that I enjoy and won't be too challenging, so i have started a level3 certificate in Music performance.
    It tickles me no end to refer to it as an NVQ in Bass Guitar. Its really weird being in a class full of kids and  I'm older than all of the teachers, but its quite invigorating performing with people that are fresh and unjaded. Though I can hear the laughter in my head of the Roadie Brethren when I'm sitting there being taught how to coil a cable.

anyhoo, I have my first assignment and I thought it might raise a chuckle with you guys. I have to write 1000 words on:

Your instrument and its Parts
       Critique your own instrument and associated equipment with regard to effective, safe operation and current selection.
     Include the following:
            How does your instrument work?
            What are the integral parts to your instrument?
             Detail routine maintenance undertaken.
            Give some examples of makes, models and associated equipment.
            Put together a “tech spec” for your perfect equipment set up, referencing personal and creative needs.
            What are the Health & Safety concerns relating to your instrument

Hell I could do a thousand words just on part 5 alone

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: My first essay
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:10:02 AM »
Good for you! It can be a long path, but worthwhile.

If I can be of any help, let me know. One of our distance degrees At Colorado State is a Master's in Music Therapy, and if you're interested in talking with the faculty or advisor there, I'll put you in touch. In the long term, it will probably help to find a specific program you want and then tailor your approach to fit it.

Feel free to PM me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 03:21:50 PM »
Go for it and good luck...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:26:34 AM »

Put together a “tech spec” for your perfect equipment set up, referencing personal and creative needs.

There's a never ending quest.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 01:51:23 PM »

.... that changes whenever something new and exciting comes along.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 04:42:39 PM »
   cheers  guys,
 Pilgrim thanks for that but I'm in the UK so don't know how funding for that will work, will ask my councilor .

buts that's  a while aways yet, I have to get my level 3(which i guess would be high school equivalent) then a degree before I can think about an MA

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
One step at a time, my friend....just keep putting one (metaphorical) foot in front of the other.  8)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 12:05:37 PM »
Congratulations. A worthy and much needed service. I've worked on some of this on my own for various institutions and it has been well recieved.  One very interesting aspect is that it has been used in alzheimers and dimentia therapy/wards and by using popular music from the patients past or youth, they are able to be in the present moment and know the lyrics and melodies. I worked on a project like this in Japan and was surprised and so happy to see the reaction.  One good way of getting off to a start while you are getting these A levels etc. is on your own approaching some smaller clinics, or any stores or restaurants etc. and suggest a program of music, sounds etc. that they might program in to their place of business. Even for free as part of your own education. Best of fortune to you on this.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »
Hi Copacetic,
    I already work as a care worker in  in a special needs school where some  of the things I do is run music clubs and activities   for the lower functioning and coach bands for the higher functioning students.

hence I'm basically looking to get a ticket so i can be paid a proper amount, as well as improve my practice.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 12:39:41 PM »
How cool is this,

that is not an assignment, its a module, the 1000 words is just a starting point

if I want to get this course done in a year rather than two i have to get a distinction in all  the Modules,

my Tutor thinks that putting in  photos of my twin neck build, and waffling about a bass/guitar hybrid being the best thing to have in your hands when coaching rock n roll to special needs kids is about the best way to "fundamentally show an in depth knowledge of the make up of my  instrument" that he can think of .. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 12:12:42 PM »

The journey is more important (and also more fun) than the destination.

Sometimes we stray from the prescribed path: For the first few years of my bass playing, I wanted my bass to sound like the "bass" that comes in here at 0:49 or so. Until one day someone told me that it's a - duh! - Fender Rhodes playing ABOVE the bass!  :-X :-[ :mrgreen:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...