Author Topic: Gibson "Slingshot" strap !  (Read 1869 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Gibson "Slingshot" strap !
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 01:51:44 PM »
I bought one of those nylon "seat belt" straps (not the stretchy kind) with my new Kramer Stagemaster SMB-2 back in 1982. Talk about neck dive!

The underside of nylon straps might as well be coated with Teflon the way they slide around....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 07:10:13 AM »
The underside of nylon straps might as well be coated with Teflon the way they slide around....

For real! Lesson learned - try the bass on a strap while standing before buying!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2020, 09:31:07 AM »
For real! Lesson learned - try the bass on a strap while standing before buying!

I solve that the easy way - if it doesn't have sueded leather or actual wool fleece on the underside, I don't buy it.  I know it's not slipping and sliding if it qualifies on either count.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2020, 11:19:42 PM »
I upgraded to leather straps years ago, mostly Levys. They stay put.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 02:04:53 AM »
I bought a Levy's for the first time a few months ago.  About $50, very wide and comfortable.  I wasn't sure how good they were, but I like them. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 08:06:42 AM »
Agreed. I have a number of Levys and IMO they make good straps that will stay put.  I generally buy a strap for each bass that complements the instrument.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 07:10:57 PM »
I bought all mine off eBay over several years, all at way below usual street price. The markup on them must be higher than on instruments.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 08:36:27 PM »
I bought all mine off eBay over several years, all at way below usual street price. The markup on them must be higher than on instruments.

I checked on Amazon and the Levy's M4GF strap was $49.99--the same as what I paid at AMS.  But I didn't check beyond that.  I've mostly used Neotech.  But I already like Levy's better.  You could go through calisthenics with one of these Levy's straps on your bass.  I'm sure there must be better straps and worse ones, too.  But this is just my own experience.  Lately, I've been on a streak in which I like everything bass-related that I buy. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 01:31:00 PM »

That is Jen Tabor who worked for Levy's for a year, but she's totally back with her own brand Souldier, I proudly endorse (*). And me with a Dutch orange Tele showing the working of this strap. She has Souldier for 15 years now, with a brief stint at Levy's.

I'm a Souldier fanboy, so some advertisement time! Souldier.us

Other Souldier users:  Harry Styles, Madelief van Vlijmen, Jimmy Page, Gary Clark Jr. Raymond Stolp, Wilco, Johnny Marr, Tame Impala, Chris Stapleton, Weyes Blood, Ty Segall,, Sonic Youth, Sturgill Simpson, The Black Keys, Adele, Norah Jones, Mumford and Sons, Michael Kiwanuka, MGMT, Larkin Poe, Aerosmith, Josh Klinghoffer, Jason Mraz, Eric Johnson, Govan Guthrie, Brian Fallon, Vernon Reid, Bob Weir, Robert DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots, Kurt Vile. Dave Matthews Band, Decemberists, Courtney Barnett, Tash Sultana, Panic! At The Disco, Buddy Guy, Ace Frehley of Kiss, and many, many more!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 03:15:59 PM »
Looks good.  I like the adjustment feature. 

--Blaise Pascal