Author Topic: Gibson Signature "Burn" Bass for Glenn Hughes?  (Read 1131 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Gibson Signature "Burn" Bass for Glenn Hughes?
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:26:05 AM »
Of all people, yes.  :o  At least that is what he says in an interview in the current issue of German Bass Professor where he talks about his endorsements in the past and future. Until recently, he played Manne basses by the Italian boutique, but didn't like how they would not sound well with effects. Currently he is playing a Yamaha one-off made especially for him (looks a bit like the Michael Anthony Signature), but that is not intended to become a series. But then he says in the interview: "But it looks like I will be changing again soon. I was in Nashville and Gibson senior management offered me to build a signature bass to my specifications that will become a regular model. It is even going to be called the "Burn Bass". Don't know about the timing of the project though."

Mind you, Glenn is notorious for promising-on-paper projects that get half-finished and never see the light of day and we all know what seems to have happened to the Shavobird that Gibson at least flaunted on a few fairs, but has not officially released yet. Also, I don't think I've ever seen him play or even touch a mahogany bass. Whatever comes to mind over the years, Fender Mustang (with Trapeze), Ric 4001 (with Purple early on), Fender Precision (with Purple later), ESP, Vigier, Fender Jazz, Manne, Yamaha was all firmly entrenched in maple/alder/ash territtory. So will this end up as another mock-Fender like the Lee Sklar Signature?  :rolleyes: Hughes likes a crisp, but not clean tone with a lot of attack - that seems to speak for something maple'ish from Boltonia, but we'll have to see. He also likes upper register access (for his little funk licks and slides up the neck) and a slim neck (he has small hands).

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:56:49 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Signature "Burn" Bass for Glenn Hughes?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:19:27 AM »
A G-3 reissue would suit him fine, I think.
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:54:25 AM »
That's actually true! I was thinking about something in the Grabber/Ripper/G-3 family as well.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 05:54:39 AM »
"Boltonia" lmfao
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird