Author Topic: Anyone looking for a Triumph?  (Read 3976 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Anyone looking for a Triumph?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 04:17:51 AM »
Congrats! Welcome to the club :toast:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 05:08:33 AM »
Oh yeah, congrats.  I love mine.  In fact, I don't take it out to play much any more since it's in such great shape.  I don't want to screw it up.  I love the sound and neck, 2 of its really great qualities!  Enjoy!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 05:13:49 AM »
Congrats, it should be agreat bass for you. Maybe Harry & you can do dueling triumphs?

In fact, I don't take it out to play much any more since it's in such great shape.  I don't want to screw it up.

That's the problem I have getting anything minty.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »
Thanks!  I've wanted a Triumph for years, but the right deals always came up at the wrong time.

I tend to worry more about fret wear and stuff like that over the cosmetics, but since the price delta on this one wasn't too far off from one with issues, it seemed like a good move.  It'll get used and played out, even at the risk of scars (as careful as I am, I still managed to get a nasty one on the EB-3). 

I've found that I really have a thing for short and mid scale basses (especially in the band setting), so those get taken out the most.  They're like basses with "short guy syndrome" - they look diminutive, but sonically speaking they'll get right up in your face!   ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:10:50 PM by chromium »

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 04:56:58 PM »
It showed up early today, and I managed to plunk around on it at lunch for about ten minutes and snap a couple pics.  I'm beside myself.  I played one in a shop once when I was a teenager and remembered I liked it, but this feels soooo comfortable - you guys are right about the neck!  I love it!
Haven't weighed it, but it doesn't feel that much heavier than my '82 Stingray (that I've kinda grown away from) or the Magnum - the two resident boat anchors.

Needs a switch tip and strings, but other than that its right out of a time capsule.  I guess the only bad news is that it's all downhill from here - this thing is officially out of retirement!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 07:33:59 AM »
Joe,

that's stunning!  I wish mine was as nice but at least I don't have to worry about messing it up, plus I have the honor of having a less than stellar Gibson finish from the 70's. ;)

our friend greatdealz on ebay usually lists the switch w/tip (but not right at the moment) for only $7 I think.  he lists them for a guitar but I can't remember which model.   keep your eyes open.   I put a fender tip on mine to make do until I could find the right one.  they had two different size slots for the blade but you'll want the smaller one.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 10:47:15 AM by ramone57 »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 07:54:26 AM »
That bass is beautiful !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 10:36:57 AM »
Thanks for the info on that switch.  I'm trying to remember - is that the same one they had listed for the Nighthawk guitars?  Even if it's not an exact replacement switch, I wonder if just the tip will pop off easily.  I'll try to snag one when they come available again.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 10:50:29 AM »
yeah Joe, it was the Nighthawk (thanks for having a good memory!) and it pops right off.   fits the Triumph perfectly.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 01:45:37 PM »
Well my wife taught me how to use her scale today.  According to the scale from NASA, my Stingray weighs 9 lbs, the Ovation weighs 9.4 lbs, and the Triumph weighs in at 10.4 lbs - and has a startling 6.2% body fat!

I guess that's not so heavy for a Triumph, compared to some accounts I've read.  We'll see how I feel after it's strapped on for three hours at the next band rehersal  :)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 02:07:32 PM »
Wow that looks amazingly mint! What a great find.

The Nighthawk tip isn't the correct shape. But who cares?

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 02:17:20 PM »
The Nighthawk tip isn't the correct shape. But who cares?

Ah OK.  if that's the case, I'll probably just do like Mr. Ramone and slap a strat or tele cap on there.  $1.49 from GPR

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 03:29:39 PM »
Stunning bass. great pics too.

You got a heck of a deal.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »
Thanks

Here's another macro shot of the head- this time with case dandruff and all  ;D

I noticed these have a really thick veneer over the headstock, compared to the painted surface on my EBs.  Shows up better in this photo.

Started working on a recording with it last night.  The flats are dead, but they still tune and intonate ok - so I figure what the heck.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 03:54:43 AM »
Sehr schön. Wunderschön to be exact.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...