Author Topic: Newbie checking in  (Read 7333 times)

Fretless

• Stuck in the middle of the Corn Ghetto!
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie checking in
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2016, 07:50:26 PM »
Fretless players don't wear knickers, Denis. It's all part of their holistic approach.

Lol, true enough!! Uwe, that's quite an arsenal of fretless basses, and Gibbys at that! I've only owned a fretless for two years, so the honeymoon ain't over-I still get excited to just pick it up and noodle a bit. The previous thirty-four years of playing bass have paled in comparison. That Squier helped me fall back in love with being a bassist.
I could'a been a visionary...a hundred years ago!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2016, 08:06:15 PM »
I like fretless playing too - it is (even with knickers on, but I shall now try your confessional recommendation more often!) more intimate. Couldn't see myself do it all the time and only though, sometimes I need the - ooops! -"tonal reliability" of a fretted instrument and its extra snap and clarity. Most people don't realize that when playing fretless you are continuously left-hand-dampening the strings as your soft finger determines the location of where string meets board to ring whereas with a fretted instrument you do that behind the fret from where the string rings.

If that made sense.  :-[
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »
The story of my RD...

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1988.0

... and how she now looks...

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=3814.0

If you note the dates on the RD project you might get a picture on how quickly change occurs in my life... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Fretless

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2016, 06:50:01 PM »
Uwe, that made perfect sense(to me at least!). I keep a fretted bass(Sejung S101 JHB74) around just because...it is a necessary member of my humble arsenal. Besides, it sounds and plays like a dream!

Highlander, you did a masterful job on that RD! Love the cherryburst T-Bird too! I know some T-Birds are neck-thru, and with that said, what are your opinions on neck-thru basses?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2016, 03:41:16 PM »
Ta and appreciated... the RD is flawed, but so am I...

I have two neck-thrus... that Thunderbird, which is a Peter Cook, and my "budget buy" in the 80's, a Hohner Jack... curiously enough, both have a an exact replica P "D" profile P neck, in four pieces: three for the neck, one for the board... both are mahogany or similar (in the latter case)... both play beautifully...

I'd love a fretless neck-thru, but the RD is a stunner for tone... all that maple... the original pups were active but were humbuckers with no electronics other than the Moog board...

I'd love to buy and convert an Epi Pro T'Bird to fretless at some point, but more pressing matters exist for me at the moment...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Fretless

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2016, 08:46:26 AM »
Ta and appreciated... the RD is flawed, but so am I...

I have two neck-thrus... that Thunderbird, which is a Peter Cook, and my "budget buy" in the 80's, a Hohner Jack... curiously enough, both have a an exact replica P "D" profile P neck, in four pieces: three for the neck, one for the board... both are mahogany or similar (in the latter case)... both play beautifully...

I'd love a fretless neck-thru, but the RD is a stunner for tone... all that maple... the original pups were active but were humbuckers with no electronics other than the Moog board...

I'd love to buy and convert an Epi Pro T'Bird to fretless at some point, but more pressing matters exist for me at the moment...

Never 'flawed', Highlander-'has personality'! :thumbsup:  With all that maple, I'll bet it projects like a beast! Never played a Hohner Jack, but really like the design-headless fascinates me. A fretless T-Bird would be amazing, but I fully understand 'more pressing matters', lol. Keep up the good work!