Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Lap King? NR

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dave W:
Rosewood would definitely add stiffness to the headstock. Not sure why that would be necessary though.

Nice looking work.

Basvarken:
Definitely?

Rosewood has an open grain structure. If you use only a thin sheet of -let's say 2 mm- it'll be very vulnerable and brittle.
I have my doubts about the added strength.

Esthetic reasons I can understand.

gearHed289:
That's pretty sexy! Seems like a nice price too if you want a good quality non-rev.

Dave W:

--- Quote from: Basvarken on September 22, 2017, 01:38:02 AM ---Definitely?

Rosewood has an open grain structure. If you use only a thin sheet of -let's say 2 mm- it'll be very vulnerable and brittle.

--- End quote ---

Grain structure has nothing to do with it. Depending on the particular species, rosewoods are 2 to 3 times stiffer than korina. Even a 2mm front and back overlay of rosewood would be stiffer than an all-korina headstock of the same total thickness.

I've seen back strap overlays of stiffer woods used in headstock repair. Some acoustic guitar luthiers do this routinely on new builds.

amptech:

--- Quote from: Basvarken on September 22, 2017, 01:38:02 AM ---Definitely?

--- End quote ---

Ebony is brittle as well when thin, but stiffens even in thinner sheets than 2mm. My project korina explorer bass headstock went from rubber soft to rock solid just by replacing the black plastic top sheet with ebony veneer. It's not brittle or vulnerable anymore when glued to the headstock wood.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version