Author Topic: Three point bridges - Epiphone and Gibson differing threads - M8 or 5/16"  (Read 3146 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
This is a request for assistance, but I've posted it here as it is very relevant (if not already commonly known and I'm just being naive) to all Gibbie/Epi users...

Scott and myself exchanged a set of three point bridges and posts this week... the chrome Gibson set from my '79 RDA and a black Epiphone set that came with Scotts Fretless Ripper (as accompanied spares)...

The black posts (he did warn me that they had been cut-down but that was not considered a problem for either of us) did not fit any of my (studs - what is proper definition?) as they are all M8 threads - yep, all metric... I can only presume that Epiphones are metric fittings...?

I believe that Scott may have a bigger problem than me but swopping the posts around should show that as (afaik) the (stud points) are all the same on the set that I supplied to Scott, which leads me to believe that a bit more jiggerypokery has gone on with his Ripper than he originally thought... the main 5/16 posts fit his but the front small post does not - I presume that this must have been replaced with a Metric (stud point) ...?

The outcome is that he requires a small (probably metric M8) chrome post and I require a set of 5/16" (they are this thread size???) black anodised posts... anyone got a spare set or point me in the direction of where I can find a set on-line...?

I need Scott to check how they fit in the various (stud points) on his Ripper before confirming what he will need - it may be easier for him to shange the body part than to source a metric part...?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:04:00 AM by Kenny Five-O »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
I think first I need to chase out the insert and see where we are I suspect it has been cross threaded.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Well I managed to get the stud stuck in the insert and ended up backing the insert out.  >:( I got the two pieces unstuck and backed out the stud. It looks like the final 1/4 inch of the insert is not completely threaded  ??? Once I find my tap and Die set I will chase it out. Kenny yes modern Epiphones are metric. Funny the black bridge worked on this Ripper, must be someone force fit the bridge studs in. The two large studs still thread just fine on the bass and accept the 5/16 studs you sent me.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
That's the problem I'm having with my Casady. The insert has been cross threaded and I'm not about to try to force it out of the bass. Handy I am not. Off to the shop with it.

The front screw is different than the two back screws, a little smaller.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Found my tap and die set. I chased the inserts with the 5/16" tap. Works just fine now :)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Here is the bridge installed, looks much better ! If you look closely under the bridge you can see the 5 screw hole from the F@@@@r bridge that was installed  :rolleyes: I'll fill the holes later, at least you really can't see 'em.

Highlander

• View Profile
Looking good, Scott - my RD's in pieces at the moment as I'm using the opportunity to start the refin...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
i have had this kind of problem too.i have most of 3 metric 3 point bridges so have plenty of (metric)studs and posts to spare if you need them.also the threads on the long bolts going through the bridge saddles are different,i have a gibson 3 point bridge on my bass with metric bridge saddles and bolts,took some doing ! the holes in the bridge for the bolts are smaller on the gibson bridge.the metric bridge saddles nedded to be filed on the bottom so they would sit flat in the grooves.
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• View Profile
Cheers for the offer, Tony... I'm going to try to find some 5/16 posts if I can but I'll be in touch If I strike-out...

Anyone suggest any suppliers of just the posts...? everything I've found so far seem to be mostly bridges...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
No string-thru? Weren't your strings long enough, Scott, or do you actually prefer it that way? I always string thru - it looks neater.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
I have a huge pile of used strings, none long enough to fit the Ripper in string through mode. When I get new strings I'll run them through.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Size does matter, sigh!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...