Author Topic: I Am Loving My Scheff 5'ver  (Read 2448 times)

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
I Am Loving My Scheff 5'ver
« on: January 15, 2008, 01:42:54 AM »
This is one of my favorite five-string basses.

She plays like a dream and the Scheff lipsticks and their placement (farther apart than your standard J-Bass config) give this bass a rich deep quaility that makes her fun play...there is a deep/rich quaility to the tone.  This one bass I wish Lakland had not eliminated. "BIG RED" is a Skyline. I imagine one could order a USA Scheff?

Any other Scheff appreciators in our midst?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: I Am Loving My Scheff 5'ver
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 01:48:51 AM »
I've never even seen one, but I like the concept of the lipstick pickups on a solidbody, and the neck pickup location. Of course if I were in the market for one, it would have to be a 4.  ;)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:27:25 AM »
Nice bass they look great in gold too. I saw Scheff at th Raising the Bottom Concert in Chicago. He sounded amazing with great growl coming from his Scheff bass.

sirbassalot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:27:59 PM »
I have two skylines but never heard a Scheff what kind of tone do you get with both pickups on? Can you use the bridge pickup solo? or is it  too thin.

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 01:11:49 AM »
Actually both pickups are useable alone...these Scheff four & five strings have a character and attitude that make them fun to play! i prefer both pickups. I'd like to get a series/parallel option installed to see how both pickups firing in series would sound. My guess (from other 'series' pickups...mostly on Jazz basses) is that it would bring the bass up yet another notch.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 09:35:06 AM »
Series boosts the output, and the increased volume may make it seem like there's more bass, but I doubt there really is. Usually it increases midrange a bit.

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 02:28:19 PM »
I own a "Big Red" US Scheff.  Its a 4-banger SN# 5, I added a pearloid pg... strung with TI Flats.  Gotta say, its probably the last bass to go if I have to liquidate.  This bass is way underrated imo....

MarkusBass

• AREA5100
    • View Profile
    • AREA5100: Comprensive Design for all Medias.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 08:30:52 PM »
Series boosts the output, and the increased volume may make it seem like there's more bass, but I doubt there really is. Usually it increases midrange a bit.

Love your Avatar! spaghetti eating cat is hilarious!
LIVE! From the Graphic Dungeon!