Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

tinting an already applied clear coat

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lightyear:
Yep, and the Gibson Cherry color is a hard one to match as well.

poomwah:
I got such a great deal on the bass.... it was normally 600, on clearance for 300, and I talked them down to 250 due to buckle rash (which I already rubbed out), and some wear on the finish on bridge.  Maybe I should sell it for a profit and buy a black cherry one :\

Dave W:
I guess that depends on what bass you're talking about and how much you like it otherwise.

I can't imagine refinishing a new bass. If I really disliked the finish enough to want to refinish it right away, I wouldn't buy it, even with a super deal.

poomwah:

--- Quote from: Dave W on February 16, 2009, 10:08:11 AM ---I guess that depends on what bass you're talking about and how much you like it otherwise.

I can't imagine refinishing a new bass. If I really disliked the finish enough to want to refinish it right away, I wouldn't buy it, even with a super deal.

--- End quote ---
the color is my only complaint about the bass, otherwise I really like it.  changing a color doesn't scare me and doesn't deter me from passing up a good deal, whether it be a bass, a bike, or a car... if its what I want and the only thing wrong is the color, I'll make it the color I want

Pilgrim:
I don't think you're going to have success going over an existing finish.  I think you should plan on complete disassembly, stripping the finish, then starting from the ground up, either staining the wood or applying tinted clear lacquer.

The red on this fretless I refin'd was intended to be somewhere in the vicinity of Gibson Cherry Red - I used Stew-Mac's red tint in clear acrylic lacquer over a couple of coats of metallic silver.  I was actually going for a classic "Candy Apple Red" finish...and ended u pretty close.  But the first couple of coats scared me - it was PINK until at least the 4th coat.  I think I ended up with about 6-7 coats of red-tinted lacquer on this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version