Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

tinting an already applied clear coat

(1/4) > >>

poomwah:
are there any techniques or products that allow you to stain or tint a clear coat that is already cured?  maybe sand the clear until its "frosty" then apply dye?
 transparent paint. any ideas?

Lightyear:
Are you here in the states?  If so the Guitar Reranch sells tinted and ambered nitro laquer as well as, I think, a spray amber dye.  If you are outside of the states you won't be able to get this due to shipping regs.

poomwah:
unfortunately, the bass I want to tint is already antique amber.  I'm hoping to give it a black cherry look without stripping it and starting over

Lightyear:
Mmmmm, I see.  Reranch at one point had a Vintage Cherry spray dye that you shot over a scratch coat of clear nitro - last I knew they did not carry it any longer.  Certainly a cherry dye or cherry tinted laquer over the amber would look a bit different.  One thing to worry about would be compatability between the finishes if you did not want to strip the old finish.

Dave W:
A coat of shellac between would eliminate bonding or compatibility problems in most cases. There's still a major problem, and that's not being able to predict what it will look like. You couldn't tell by testing on scrap because that wouldn't be over the original finish.

And even if it looks fine, how many coats and clearcoats would you apply? You could wind up with a thick film. I'm well known for saying that it won't affect tone, but thick finishes generally don't look good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version