Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

Lyle SG-Clone just arrived...

(1/7) > >>

Pilgrim:
I picked up this little gem on Ebay for $85 including shipping.  The seller said in the auction that he thought it was the wrong neck, but on asking, I learned that he just thought the neck should be painted to match the body.  It certainly appears to me that the neck is correct and original. That's good evidence that the seller knows diddly about guitars and basses, as there is a neck problem that wasn't mentioned in the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=380099502927

It's in good condition overall, but there is a hump in the neck (toward the strings) from the 5th through about the 12th fret.  It's symmetrical, not a sharp hump.  I'm going to loosen the truss rod and put the neck in a simple jig to press it back into straightness.  The bridge is jacked WAY up to get the strings over the hump, and it's actually somewhat playable as is.  I believe the problem can be fixed, and straightening the neck should allow me to bring the bridge back down to a normal height.

I'm a bit of a sucker for this body style, and for Lyle and other Matsumoku basses..and the bass isn't beaten up.  If the neck comes out OK, it could be a pretty fun bass, and the price is right.

Any other suggestions?  I'm traveling through Sunday, so I won't get a chance to post more pix till late that day.

Chris P.:
It reminds me a bit of Hagstrom basses. Nice.

Pilgrim:
Yes, I can see the resemblance.  The neck plate is upside down on it, so clearly the neck has been off and someone has played around with it...I'm convinced the neck is the right one.  But given that whoever messed with it wasn't sharp enough to get the plate back on right-side-up, I'm not assuming they knew anything about necks.  The only other obvious problems are that many of the PG screws are missing and some of the tuner mounting screws are missing, but that only requires a trip to the hardware store.  The top hat Vol/Tone knobs are original and in good shape.

Dave W:
$85 delivered and it's playable. And maybe you can fix the hump.  ;D

Chris P.:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version