Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

Adapting a guitar pup for bass use

<< < (2/2)

shadowcastaz:
I remember being told the pup reads the magnetic vibration,so its the string that makes the  vibration(noise) over a  pup(guitar or bass) so I think your good except for string spacing,Me thinks :mrgreen: .

Dave W:
String spacing may or may not be an issue. Some pickups have a big falloff in output if the strings aren't exactly aligned. Other pickups have a wide magnetic field. He'll find out soon enough.

The Strat type 6 pole pickup in the original Musicmaster was low output but it had plenty of low end on a bass and I've never noticed a problem with the misalignment on the ones I've played.

drbassman:
the pups are soap bar, chrome cover deals.   String spacing shouldn't be a problem.  I think I'm gonna try the 500K pots with a .47 cap.

Saf:
on a musicmaster bass the string run throug the middele of to pole piece of the strat pickup and indeed I think the pick ups sounds great for bass.

I have an gfs lipstickhb in use on one of my bassguitars and even used a bass for a while that had an set of epi LP Hb's in it. It sounded great. Just try it out and let us know.

drbassman:
The pickups are Artec mini humbuckers, which are probably a lot like Epi humbuckers anyway, so I should be OK.  Thanks for all the input guys.  I'll post a picture as things progress.  It'll be a surprise for you guys!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version