Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

Adapting a guitar pup for bass use

(1/2) > >>

drbassman:
If I wanted to take a guitar humbucker with an 8.5 ohm reading and use it in a bass  (I know Fender beat me to this idea with the Musicmaster!), what would be the best pots for the volume and tone controls to reduce highs and enhance low frequencies?  I remember that using 250's on humbuckers would warm them up and reduce highs, so would that be a good start for this purpose? 

I was also wondering if leaving the cap off the tone control would increase low freqs as ell.  My electronics ignorance is showing again!  :P

Chris P.:
Are we talking Rickenbacker pick ups here?

Dave W:
I wouldn't do anything out of the ordinary. Just use what you would normally use for a humbucker (pots and caps) and see how it sounds. Don't automatically assume that it will sound trebly or not warm enough just because it's from a guitar.

I owned a Rick 4004 and 650 (guitar) at the same time. Pickups are identical. Sound was completely different with the different tuning, scale length and strings, i.e. the guitar didn't sound like it had a bass pickup on it, and vice versa.

exiledarchangel:
+1. Maybe you want to try a .47 cap instead of a .22, that's all.

drbassman:
Thanks guys.  Nope, not talking Ric pups.  Just some inexpensive guitar humbuckers that fit perfectly on a bass project I'm cobbling together and wanted to giver a try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version