Author Topic: Modified Jack Casady Signature recording  (Read 11394 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Modified Jack Casady Signature recording
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 01:00:32 PM »
Yes, years ago I had a meeting with Chris P and Bart. We brought all our bass guitars and made a lot of noise during a saturday afternoon.

Chris happened to have an Epi JCS. And Bart had his Gibson LP Signature with him.
I brought my Modified JCS. And we compared them of course.

I remember that the sound of my Modified JCS was pretty close to the LP sig. And the three of us agreed it was an improvement to the original Electar equipped JCS.
The slight difference in sound could very well be written down to the different wood of the back of the basses. The LP Sig has the beautiful walnut, where the JCS has an indescript maple?

Mungi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »
Wish I had been there! Very interesting. I have been trying to get the specs for the LP Sig pickup with not luck. But it seems very likely that it is very close to the Triumph pickup. And choice of wood really do matter a lot for the sound. I think the sound of the LP Triumph bass is colored a great deal from the heavy mahogny body. Playing it unplugged you can really hear that.

Btw, that must be one of the most inspiring family pics ever!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »
 The LP Sig is stained walnut. The ply is maple
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »
I have been trying to get the specs for the LP Sig pickup with not luck. But it seems very likely that it is very close to the Triumph pickup.

A while ago someone of this awesome forum told me the pickup on the LP Signature is actually closer to the lo-z guitar pickups from that era.
It does make sense, as the guitar pickups are smaller and don't have the eight leads coming out the backside.
The impedance choice is made with the transformer rather than directly from the coiltaps. Just like the LP Sig and JCS.

This picture of an early LP Sig shows a smaller guitar sized pickup which is clearly a lot smaller than the Triumph pickup that I have on my JCS.

But when I saw this picture it was the direct inspiration to get rid of the Electar and install the Triumph pickup.
(I didn't know it should have maybe been a guitar pickup) And I haven't regretted it one single second.

The only thing that I still need to do is mount lightweight Gotoh Res-O-Lites to cure the neck dive.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:06:38 AM by Basvarken »

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 02:13:18 PM »
dang that is sweet Rob! i was thinking the drums need to mellow just a bit to match the bass but it is absolutely great as is. Floor is just getting so incredibile.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 02:45:10 PM »
thanx man!  :toast:

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 11:10:53 PM »
after repairing my puter (that has better speakers) forget the remark about the drums.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Mungi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 12:51:01 AM »
Fantastic sound on your bass in those videos, especially the second one where one can hear the bass better. I would write this "It is a little more low mids focussed than a split P but it certainly has that open and woody character" to describe it, if you didn't already write precisely that.  ;D

Great bass, for a great band!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 03:57:41 AM »
Thanx man!  :toast: