Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

The Mustang bass stripe....

(1/2) > >>

Pilgrim:
I've been thinking for some time that my black Jay Turser JTB-401 ('54 P clone) would look even better with another accent.  I put a bridge cover on it - and used adhesive tire weights under that cover to balance it - but the more I looked at Mustang basses, the more I thought Hmmmmmmmm...

So I stopped at an auto arts store and bought a 2" wide strip of chrome striping tape.  I used my wife's excellent fabric-cutter to cut a 12" piece, then to cut some lengthwise strips about 3/8" wide, then trimmed the remaining rather wide piece to a width I thought would work.  I wiped the bass with denatured alcohol, and applied the strips.

Here's the result:

Here's an original to compare it with - mine is wider.  I just eyeballed mine, and thought the center stripe was at least 3x as wide as the side strpies...turns out that it was maybe 2x as wide.  But the Turser is a larger body, so it may be OK in proportion.

I learned that you really can't wrap the strips around the sides without getting wrinkles (also the angle at which the tape lays changes, so they tended to overlap), so I trimmed them with a razor blade at about 1/4" of lap past the top of the bass.  Also, that chrome is so reflective that I couldn't get a decent photo of it with the flash on, so these are taken with no flash.  I'll probably try some photos outside where the light is better.

Best part is - it's just striping tape, and I used about one-tenth of what's on the roll.  I can re-do it anytime I feel the urge if I want to change the strip widths or the look.

Whaddaya think????  Is it Mustang-ish??

Highlander:
Nice one, Al...  8)

leftybass:
Did the same thing on my lefty SX short-scale. I'd always wanted a Mustang Bass but finding/affording a lefty was not do-able. So...

Pilgrim:
Better (?) shots taken outside.  That stuff is VERY reflective...chrome, donchaknow?

JimmyBond8:
Oh wow!! I didn't notice till the end that it was reflective Chromy!!  :o

A guy in a local band did something similar to his black guitar, not racing stripes, but just big stripes with Tinfoil somehow. It looks smashing.

Very nice!! I think the thicker stripe works great on basses because of the bigger body and neck.
Welcome into the racing stripe club.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version