Author Topic: I love Blue Öyster Cult... (Uwe's Edit: That makes two of us ...)  (Read 9141 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: I love Blue Öyster Cult... (Uwe's Edit: That makes two of us ...)
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2013, 04:45:28 PM »
Superb film with a great and grandiose soundtrack... the portrayal of "death" experiencing "life", "emotion", "touch" is excellent... death and taxes... ;)

(ps... and I don't care who knows it...) :gay:

Claire Forlani - "local" girl - born about 3 miles from here - "Mac" Taylors girlfriend in CSI NY for a while - some work in NCIS LA more recently...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2013, 05:11:49 PM »
While Ken and I then found the local Brad Pitt (or, as the case may be, Claire Forlani) Adoration Clüb, here's another not so bad version of Astronomy featuring that guy who tries to sing a little like Eric Bloom plus his wordy Dutch drummer ...

Actually, I think that Metallica generally have a good hand at covers, on the more recent Deep Purple Machine Head Tribute everything is pretty much forgettable, but their version of When a Blind Man Cries (written during the Machine Head Sessions, but left off the original album though it is one of the Purps' best ballads) stands out:

When I played this to a Metallica fan, she (yes, Metallica have female fans too) at first wouldn''t believe it. And while James Hetfield gives his best to "sing nice" during the early verses and only reverts to Metallica growl towards the end, Lars' stumbling behind-the-beat drumming is of course a dead giveaway.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:32:39 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2013, 08:20:46 AM »
...but this 12-minute version of "Last Days of May" is the best version I've ever seen or heard. It's terrific to see Allen Lanier get in some great time on a Telecaster, considering he's usually the main keyboard player.

I found this live version from earlier this year. Faster isn't necessarily better and I think this is a good example. Allen's guitar playing has a lot of feeling in it, but in this version I just don't think Ritchie cuts it.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2013, 07:44:36 PM »
Just got my box set in the mail today.  Listening to Spectres as I type........ :)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2013, 06:38:49 AM »
that is my friend's son on lead.   actually a good kid too!!!
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2013, 07:40:31 AM »
that is my friend's son on lead.   actually a good kid too!!!

A friend of mine up there knows him too and visits the Castellano's music store as well. Hell, YOU probably know my buddy!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2013, 03:33:36 PM »
I used to go to John Castellano's parents music store in Brooklyn.  Bought probably 15 basses fom them.    John's store is in Staten Island ,   which I lived on in the late 80's early 90's,  was about  a mile from my house..   His younger brother Phil  was a kickass bass player back then.
John played IIRC with the Chambers  Brothers briefly.  
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM