Author Topic: Ms Ford ...  (Read 10234 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Ms Ford ...
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »
I didn't follow what Frau Ford did in the eighties either,

I did. 

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 06:17:35 PM »
"penultimate - album (I still write "album", I know it gives away my age). "  Uhhh Uwe penultimate gives away youe profession  :o

It's not a word used a lot theses days or ever, but I believe I got it out of a Newsweek or Time article, didn't know what it meant, had to look it up and it just stuck. I still look up English words I don't know the meaning of or have never heard.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:00:18 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 06:23:40 PM »
"Penultimate" is a great word!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 09:19:52 PM »
Just wondering how many band or musician threads there are in the history of this forum where Uwe does not slip in a mention Blackmore in some context. Must be a short list.  :P

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 11:59:23 PM »
An (almost) example of an oxymoron - another great word...

Blackmore and Gibson are synonymous round here, as far as Uwe's concerned, Dave...

Hmm... sysnonymous... squirrels and nuts... ;D

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 04:28:41 AM »
Just wondering how many band or musician threads there are in the history of this forum where Uwe does not slip in a mention Blackmore in some context. Must be a short list.  :P

Sigh. I know I'm preaching the gospel to cannibal heathens here. As a style creator (not that he didn't steal when convenient too), I believe he is is up there with the holy Yardbirds trinity of Clapton, Beck and Page. I've seen him countless times live, he can be a genius improviser and I rate that highest with any lead guitarist. I'm old-fashioned in that way, if you can't improvise as a lead guitarist and if you're solos are 90% the same every night, you've missed your calling and should have taken up drums or bass.

And nofi is right, I (over-)analyze while enjoying music. I commute in the car by myself and always have a CD running. Currently, about 50 CDs are scattered in my car (it's an I-Pod free zone, I nearly strangled the car dealer when he asked whether having an I-Pod in the car wouldn't make more sense "than all these CDs"), I go from The Damned to Kate Bush to Heather Finlay of Mostly Autumn to the new Saga to Gaslight Anthem to Aldo Nova's Debut to Rober Cray to Lita Ford to Glenn Frey lounge music to the new Ultravox to the Bellamy Brothers to an Al di Meola 5 CD set (that is a lot of Aldi, let me tell you, but his palm muted picking technique always draws a smile on my face, plus how he goes from the most banal melodies into a flurry of notes to something really original and tasteful).

I'm an omnivorous music junkie who can actually concentrate on complex legal texts better with music running than without, Pavlov's dog alright. And while I enjoy almost all music, I do dissect it while listening, it trains my mind and if I'm one thing then it is probably a good arranger, I believe that comes from hearing music like I do. So when I hear the new Lita Ford and hear her phrasing in her solos and I scan it against what I have previously heard - all while driving a 300 hp Volvo at 230 km/h on the Autobahn, not bad, eh? -, I hear more Blackmorisms in her playing than, say, Jimmy Page or Tommy Bolin or Hendrix. And since my weird memory tends to remember little snippets, I then think of a teenage Lita naming Blackmore as one of her favorites. She might have been Ms Iommi for a while, but I believe she shunned the left hand digits chopping part to emulate his idiosyncratic bending and vibrato even more closely!

Edith always says, you're so caught up in your music while driving, one day you're gonna crash. And the 300 hp of the Volvo aren't that important. The 4x100 watt Dolby stereo plus the 1x150 watt subwoofer are.  8)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:09:47 AM by uwe »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 05:18:36 AM »
Also, Joan never dated Ritchie Blackmore, Lita did, so there.

And Tony Iommi as well.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 06:07:28 AM »
And Tony Iommi as well.

Yes, and as a leftie his stroking hand's digits were fine, so all was well from that angle too. Nature is seldom needlessly cruel.

A non-Blackmore-message, hurray: Besides coming up with adventurous monster riffs and interesting chording, I like Iommi's slightly erratic timing when he solos fast. His triplets sound sixteensish or vice versa, actually there is no clear division of the two with him. I always thought that that his "studder solos" had something to do with the missing digits on his fretting hand.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:47:07 AM by uwe »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 06:36:01 AM »
I find it interesting that the band generally credited with the foundation of heavy metal is still considered the best over time.  I don't think anyone has been able to improve on what they started.  Iommi's the master of the lush, haunting riff.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 08:31:19 AM »
"Penultimate" is a great word!

My sister had a neighbor in New Orleans who seemed to want to use that word every chance he got.  I heard him say it so many times, I can no longer even hear the word without thinking of him.  An extremely intelligent guy, but he hated work probably more than anyone I've ever seen. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
Sigh. I know I'm preaching the gospel to cannibal heathens here....

Just poking fun. My eyes glaze over if I read too much discussion of bands and musicians I don't listen to, but I do scan them and it's remarkable how many times I see you mention him.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 09:51:06 AM »

Hey, if I had to choose between Clapton, Beck and Page......

I'd take Blackmore every time too  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »
How you have forgotten me, Dave!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »

Sexy WWII airplane

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 10:31:02 AM »
Ayn Rand should show up too.