Author Topic: "Pro" Bands that SUCK OUT LOUD  (Read 10727 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: "Pro" Bands that SUCK OUT LOUD
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »
No surprise there!  ;D

IMO Cheap Trick put on the best performance of any band while I worked there.

Mars Cowling... His playing on the Travers live album really got my fingerstyle up to speed.

I didn't care for PT but Mars nailed it and was very gracious.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2012, 03:14:56 PM »
I saw Cheap Trick dozens of times before they got signed, at the old Haymakers in Prospect Hts., IL.  They were doing material all the way up to Dream Police in the club circuit.  The thing with them was that they were brutal on your senses, and almost painfully loud.  I LOVED them in a one hour set, but after 3 hours, I always felt like I had been beaten up.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Most of the bands I've mentioned are bands that I like, and was very disappointed when I saw them.  One band that was good, but very disappointing, was The Babys.  Not only did the band come out in jeans and t shirts, but they weren't very energetic.  None of the glam and energy of their albums.  Other than that, they were good.

Funny, I saw the Babys open up for Alice Cooper here in Houston some time in the late 70's - whatever tour he had the dancing booze bottles.

It was a very rough crowd and the Babys did come out all glammed up - high heels, spandex, lacy blouses more makeup than most hookers  ;D  And, yes they were boring and just so, so musically.  The crowd hated them - John Waite took a Heiny bottle into his hand held mic which in turn smashed into his mouth - bloodied him up pretty good.  They lasted about thirty minutes before they ran for cover.

Another band that REALLY sucked was Angel - like a bowl full of cold, mushy white rice - bland and revolting :P

Funny thing is we was the B-52s early on and they were very average musically, putting the best spin on it, but they just killed and put on a hell of fun show

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2012, 08:29:47 PM »
Funny, I saw the Babys open up for Alice Cooper here in Houston some time in the late 70's - whatever tour he had the dancing booze bottles.

It was a very rough crowd and the Babys did come out all glammed up - high heels, spandex, lacy blouses more makeup than most hookers  ;D  And, yes they were boring and just so, so musically.  The crowd hated them - John Waite took a Heiny bottle into his hand held mic which in turn smashed into his mouth - bloodied him up pretty good.  They lasted about thirty minutes before they ran for cover.

Another band that REALLY sucked was Angel - like a bowl full of cold, mushy white rice - bland and revolting :P

Funny thing is we was the B-52s early on and they were very average musically, putting the best spin on it, but they just killed and put on a hell of fun show

That was the EXACT tour I saw them.  They opened for Alice Cooper on the Madhouse Rock Tour, when he had Davey Johnstone on guitar.  I wonder if they hit Chicago after Houston, which would explain the dressing down.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty