Author Topic: "Pro" Bands that SUCK OUT LOUD  (Read 10773 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: "Pro" Bands that SUCK OUT LOUD
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »
I was surprised at how decent Boston sounded on these clips I found a while back. Considering how "produced" the records were... Fran is rockin! I believe he may have had some pre-show marching powder.  :o Barry on back up vocals, with a little help from Scholz, worked pretty well.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »
I was fortunate enough to see them live.  They were good.  I got to talk to Ariel Bender briefly after the show.  He didn't look so well that night - he'd put on a little weight, and had this huge black eye.

I saw them opening for Nugent, they were rough and suffered from a bad sound. To add insult to injury, the Nuge then started mocking Ariel Bender in his set "Now how did you like that British band before us?", copying Bender's (not very difficult) riffs and little solos which the latter had played in an ill-advised guitar solo/intro by himself during the Widowmaker set. Bender had his moments with Mott the Hoople, but he is neither a Mick Ralphs nor a Ted Nugent as regards fluid soloing, he's a bit of a(n albeit cool) noise merchant/bum note producer (unlike the ex-Hawkwind second lead guitarist of Widowmaker who played tastefully and received no scathing remarks from the main act).

Nugent can be a giant ass as we all know and ridiculing another band, much less your opening act is a real cheap shot, but even with Nugent in 1977 I assume that his jabs at Bender were spawned by some backstage ruffle they must have had. I remember an NME Widowmaker gig review from around the time where the author said: "Ariel Bender acts on stage like he thinks he is pretty much the star of this outfit, but doesn't want to get beat up in the dressing room for strutting around too much". That kind of summed him up and Widowmaker (musically probably more Bob Daisley's do than the two guitarists' and the singer's) folded to no-one's surprise soon after.  Next time I saw Daisley, he was (ably) playing with Rainbow as Jimmy Bain's replacement.

That said, I like the two studio albums too with their neo-Trapeze funked up riffs (courtesy of Daisley no doubt, some of it is very reminiscent of what he would do with his Mothers Army project band decades later)

and have heard decent radio live recordings of them, but that night in Offenbach with Nugent they were plodding and unremarkable.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:39:44 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »
I was surprised at how decent Boston sounded on these clips I found a while back. Considering how "produced" the records were... Fran is rockin! I believe he may have had some pre-show marching powder.  :o Barry on back up vocals, with a little help from Scholz, worked pretty well.

Well that sure didn't suck!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 02:44:12 PM »
Saw them around that time - great evening... got very nervous about Tom Scholz playing with his monstrous organ in public... ;D

I've already previously admitted to seeing Gregg and Cher from a front row seat and thinking how slick and polished and boring a group of session men...

I can't argue with the quality of Led Zep live and my lasting memory of Knebworth is a broken nose...

Deeply deeply regret missing seeing Randy Rhodes and Paice Ashton Lord...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »
I saw them opening for Nugent, they were rough and suffered from a bad sound. To add insult to injury, the Nuge then started mocking Ariel Bender in his set "Now how did you like that British band before us?", copying Bender's (not very difficult) riffs and little solos which the latter had played in an ill-advised guitar solo/intro by himself during the Widowmaker set. Bender had his moments with Mott the Hoople, but he is neither a Mick Ralphs nor a Ted Nugent as regards fluid soloing, he's a bit of a(n albeit cool) noise merchant/bum note producer (unlike the ex-Hawkwind second lead guitarist of Widowmaker who played tastefully and received no scathing remarks from the main act).

Nugent can be a giant ass as we all know and ridiculing another band, much less your opening act is a real cheap shot, but even with Nugent in 1977 I assume that his jabs at Bender were spawned by some backstage ruffle they must have had. I remember an NME Widowmaker gig review from around the time where the author said: "Ariel Bender acts on stage like he thinks he is pretty much the star of this outfit, but doesn't want to get beat up in the dressing room for strutting around too much". That kind of summed him up and Widowmaker (musically probably more Bob Daisley's do than the two guitarists' and the singer's) folded to no-one's surprise soon after.  Next time I saw Daisley, he was (ably) playing with Rainbow as Jimmy Bain's replacement.

That said, I like the two studio albums too with their neo-Trapeze funked up riffs (courtesy of Daisley no doubt, some of it is very reminiscent of what he would do with his Mothers Army project band decades later)

and have heard decent radio live recordings of them, but that night in Offenbach with Nugent they were plodding and unremarkable.

I had this album.  I can clearly remember that this song was not only my favorite, but also Daisley's song.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »
Agreed one of my favorites of this disc!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2012, 03:41:18 AM »
Bender had his moments with Mott the Hoople, but he is neither a Mick Ralphs nor a Ted Nugent as regards fluid soloing,

I saw him in his earlier life as Luther Grosvenor with Spooky Tooth when he was smokin' hot guitarist, only one notch behind Kossoff in his prime ..... But that's another sad story of course .......
Experience is the ultimate teacher

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2012, 03:48:46 AM »
I always saw him as one of those guitarist that can be flashy for 30 seconds (and most Mott the Hoople songs didn't need solos any longer because they were essentially a songwriter band), but is unable to take you on a solo journey for a couple of minutes or so. Nugent, for all his idiocy, could do that on a good day.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2012, 04:53:40 AM »
I was shocked to see Joe Cocker and Earth Wind and Fire on this list :o. Back in the day Joe Cocker was one helluva show. Caught him a couple times in the late 60s /early 70s and he was a knockout. With the Grease band he was really something. Earth Wind and Fire I caught once in the 70s and they completely blew me away. They were astounding musicians and the vocals were so perfect it was hard to believe I wasn't listening to a seriously tweeked studio version of a really well produced album.
I guess everybody has their moments , either good or bad.
Rick

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2012, 07:21:05 AM »
I always thought Earth, Wind & Fire pretty hot too. The bass playing, the intricate keyboard playing, the horn arrangements and the way the voices of the lead vocalists gelled. Plus a choreography unrepeatable for any white group.

I'm also a sucker for Kool & the Gang with their old honey-dew vocalist, but there is no question that Earth, Wind & Fire even in their most commercial moments were more sophisticated than Kool & the Gang in their most "prog". You could always hear the jazz background in EWF.

Relevant trivia: Glenn Hughes auditioned for Earth, Wind & Fire sometime late eighties! He sang his heart out (incredibly chuffed at being invited, Black Music addict he is) and they officially declined only because "he sang too loud and rock", but I wouldn't rule out that they had concerns about a white frontman - Black Music lover or not - altering their image. Or maybe his then raging cocaine addiction was just too apparent.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:34:34 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 07:36:10 AM »
I was shocked to see Joe Cocker and Earth Wind and Fire on this list :o. Back in the day Joe Cocker was one helluva show. Caught him a couple times in the late 60s /early 70s and he was a knockout. With the Grease band he was really something. Earth Wind and Fire I caught once in the 70s and they completely blew me away. They were astounding musicians and the vocals were so perfect it was hard to believe I wasn't listening to a seriously tweeked studio version of a really well produced album.
I guess everybody has their moments , either good or bad.
Rick

That's the problem with "(fill in the blanks) band sucks" threads. There will always be people whose favorite bands or artists get dissed.

My view of Joe Cocker is that he was no worse live than recorded. That would have been impossible.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »
That's the problem with "(fill in the blanks) band sucks" threads. There will always be people whose favorite bands or artists get dissed.

My view of Joe Cocker is that he was no worse live than recorded. That would have been impossible.

Most of the bands I've mentioned are bands that I like, and was very disappointed when I saw them.  One band that was good, but very disappointing, was The Babys.  Not only did the band come out in jeans and t shirts, but they weren't very energetic.  None of the glam and energy of their albums.  Other than that, they were good.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2012, 01:14:18 PM »
on the other hand, a band i was sure would suck but didn't were the raspberries. they rocked hard, even with future embarrassment eric carmen in tow. ;D

one of the best live shows i ever saw was steeleye span circa early seventies. who knew...!
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2012, 02:02:46 PM »
Amazing how many of these bands showcased at the Whisky in '77 when I worked there as soundman: WidowMaker (they sucked), The Babys (so did they, as inanimate as their billboard on Sunset), The Tubes took over the place for a month and were great, Cheap Trick did a weekend, supplemented the house PA with some of their equipment and absolutely killed, Television were boring (Andy Johns who produced Marquee Moon came in a few weeks later with Detective to run their sound  and said he'd walked out of the sessions and left the tape machines running a few times),  Petty with Blondie co headlining, Van Halen about every other weekend.  Mink Deville (pretty good) The Dictators (sucked), Johnny Cougar (not bad) AC/DC (ditto), Judas Priest, Pat Travers (Mars Cowling was cool, he'd seen us play there the night before, recognized me at sound check and gave me two sets of Rotosounds, Travers grunted) and a bunch of others, most of whom...sucked.  The Ramones played three times and were always entertaining.  Cherie Curry quit the Runaways at Sound check and Joan Jett took over all vocal chores without missing a beat, little dyke has some balls. ;D

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »
Cheap Trick did a weekend, supplemented the house PA with some of their equipment and absolutely killed

No surprise there!  ;D

Mars Cowling... His playing on the Travers live album really got my fingerstyle up to speed.