Author Topic: "Pro" Bands that SUCK OUT LOUD  (Read 10724 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: "Pro" Bands that SUCK OUT LOUD
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »
  I loved Widow makers first album still have to get it on cd.

I was fortunate enough to see them live.  They were good.  I got to talk to Ariel Bender briefly after the show.  He didn't look so well that night - he'd put on a little weight, and had this huge black eye.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 03:29:41 AM »
I always wonder who comes up with opening acts. 

For example, I saw the Who (aka the Two) on their 2006(?) US tour, the Wire & Glass one; and the opener was ... I forget the name but it was the then-current project of Mike Patton, the ex-singer of Faith No More and Mr. Bungle.  A very talented guy whose music has never really grabbed me. I thought this particular gig was at least kind of interesting, but it was tailor-made to piss off aging Who fans who were just waiting impatiently for the first chord of "I Can't Explain".

At one point the lady behind me shouted at the stage "YOU SHOULD BE ARRESTED!" . ;D   They weren't that bad!

It was probably Fantomas; sounds too early for Tomahawk. Either would NOT be well recieved by most Who fans. I'm a huge fan of Mike Patton, but I think he needs guidance in the studio. He's like Zappa; there's way too much going on in his musical head sometimes.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 05:39:01 AM »
kool and the gang opening for van heflin on the  abridged current tour.

news of the weird. a friend of my wife was called to give a private pilates class to a "celebrity" at a downtown hotel.
turns out the celebrity is joe walsh and his wife! joe walsh?...pilates?...how things have changed. ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 08:51:29 AM »
Odd pairings...

Rush
Foghat
the Tubes
Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes
Roadmaster

Comisky Park, '79

Southside didn't exactly get booed off the stage, it seemed more like the audience basically ignored them off the stage. LOL! Maybe there was some booing closer to the front, but the last thing I remember was the singer telling Chicago "F you!", dropping the mic and walking off stage. NEXT!  :P

BTW - everyone else was great.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »
The most surreal pairing I ever saw was SAHB and The Tubes on a Halloween night in Chicago.  It was first tour for The Tubes, so every song was like a mini-play.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 10:34:48 AM »
Odd pairings...

Rush
Foghat
the Tubes
Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes
Roadmaster

Comisky Park, '79

Southside didn't exactly get booed off the stage, it seemed more like the audience basically ignored them off the stage. LOL! Maybe there was some booing closer to the front, but the last thing I remember was the singer telling Chicago "F you!", dropping the mic and walking off stage. NEXT!  :P

BTW - everyone else was great.

They've got to have thick skin - I've witnessed them sucking to the point of being booed into submission in Asbury Park. 
Here's a free tip - try not to suck in the town from which you derive your band name.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 01:22:42 PM »
was that the white punks on tour? i saw that one. i saw the sahb around the same time but don't know where. this could solve a little mystery for me. a couple russians guys behind us said this was their first 'western rock concert'. :o

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 01:48:34 PM »
was that the white punks on tour? i saw that one. i saw the sahb around the same time but don't know where. this could solve a little mystery for me. a couple russians guys behind us said this was their first 'western rock concert'. :o

I don't know which tour it was, but it was in support of their first album.  White Punks was the song that hit, and Quay Lude was on the mic for that song.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »

would have killed to see those two bands.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 04:17:46 AM »

Here's a free tip - try not to suck in the town from which you derive your band name.

Good tip !  ;D  I saw them smoke Paradiso Amsterdam in 1979 with John Hiatt supporting. One of the more memorable live band experiences in my life .....

Saw the Tubes on their What Do You Want From Life tour and they were awesome ! Fee Waybill wielded the chainsaw with much gusto, though he did manage to fall into it later that same tour .....  ;)

But to remain OT: I already mentioned the verrry bad BBA gig and remembered later Lou Reed was supporting - touring his 1st album - and he sucked big time. Luckily I needed some coffee badly so I went to bar ........

And did anybody here ever fall asleep during a concert ? I did during a Barclay James Harvest gig ......  :mrgreen:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 04:33:37 AM »

And did anybody here ever fall asleep during a concert ? I did during a Barclay James Harvest gig ......  :mrgreen:

No, but when I saw Huey Lewis and the News in a big outdoor arena, they were so boring that we all just stopped watching and listening.  For those up close in the pavilion, the band was probably decent, but they simply had no idea of how to perform for huge crowds.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 04:47:56 AM »
joe cocker, but it had nothing to do with boredom. :mrgreen:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 07:58:21 AM »

I came darn close during an Earth, Wind and Fire concert - I found the beat rather hypnotic.  Maybe I was just tired that night.

About Huey Lewis - I saw him at the Greeley Stampede (big rodeo & show) and he tore it up for a crowd of about 2,000 people.  Maybe that was a good fit.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2012, 08:03:20 AM »

Yeah, that $%#@&*^ Led Zeppelin show, ..........Ugh. 10 minutes of Bonham's solo for Moby Dick, followed by the King of Slop, Jimmy Page............Watching water boil would have been better.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2012, 08:26:34 AM »
joe cocker, but it had nothing to do with boredom. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

I never understood the appeal of doing horrible cover versions.