Author Topic: "Pro" Bands that SUCK OUT LOUD  (Read 10726 times)

mc2NY

• View Profile
"Pro" Bands that SUCK OUT LOUD
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:10:18 AM »
I rarely like to slam bands of any style, figuring everyone has their own musical tastes. But after seeing and hearing Florence and The Machine's live concert in NYC on FUSE TV.....I was astounded at how horrible they were. The backing band was very mediocre at best, the material nothing great but the biggest annoyance was the horrid singer....a voice like nails on a blackboard and shit stage presence, prancing around like a beginner on her first week of high school dance gigs.

Just horrid. No wonder rap amd hip hop are selling so well, compared to rock/pop.

I've been to some live shows that may have not been the greatest but THIS was, by far, the worst live show by any band that I have seen on 30 years.I hope that the A&R marketing guy gets handed any award the band wins and not anyone in the actual band.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: "Pro" Bands that SUCK OUT LOUD
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:44:18 AM »
I saw them on Letterman a couple of months ago. Still trying to figure out the appeal. Then again, I'm still trying to figure out how Adele became an international star.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »
My son raved about TV on the Radio.  When I saw them on TV, they were awful.  There are way too many bands now that know how to work ProTools in their living room, but have no idea how to play live, if even play at all.

An old band that I loved, and sucked out loud, was Captain Beyond.  One of the biggest disappointments in bands I've seen.  Same can be said for Rush, when they opened for KISS.  They've gotten better, however.   :thumbsup:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
I too saw Rush early on, and I realize what a bunch of hard work those guys must have done...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »
i tend to agree with this here:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SturgeonsLaw

even with this theory in place, it leaves way too many bands for one to like....or not. ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 04:43:32 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how Adele became an international star.

Really? Adele's an excellent songwriter. And she can actually sing. Her album 21 is a mainstay in our car.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 08:05:36 AM »
I also really like Adele.

When Boston released their debut album, they were pretty much a studio band.  I recall hearing that their first tour was abysmal and that the band was as entertaining as statues.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »
I also liked Adele...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 08:10:10 AM »
Really? Adele's an excellent songwriter. And she can actually sing. Her album 21 is a mainstay in our car.

I've hardly heard her music, it wasn't a comment on the quality of her songwriting. As with Florence and the Machine, someone I had never heard of a few months ago is suddenly hyped as if everyone has heard of them. How did they get anointed? Maybe I need to pay closer attention to pop trends.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 10:13:10 AM »

Stiil the all time worst for me......

Led Zeppelin.

They were baked, boring. Undeniably great in the studio. Total $#!& live.

Ratt, not so much that they were bad, I saw them once opening for the Scorpions they were fine, second time they headlined with Poison opening, they were just horrible - left way early.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 10:15:59 AM »
When Boston released their debut album
...they almost single-handedly saved Rock 'n Roll from disco's mighty grip.
Not sure about your experiences during that time-frame, but in the mid-70's in NYC, we were being bludgeoned to death by disco...and me and my friends (who were always in a car going to the shore) were all too poor to own but a few 8-tracks; We were slaves to whatever was on the radio.  I always give props to Boston (a town I completely loathe) for helping grab the reins back.

Back on topic (kinda): the only concert I've ever walked out on was Crazy Horse back in the early 80's in Baltimore - and there was a traffic jam trying to get out of there early.  There isn't a single word to describe the dreadfulness that they brought on stage that night.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
I played a night at Bogarts in Cinti around when Boston was breaking...I think ( if I remember right) they made $250 for playing Bogarts...they were either there the night before us or maybe the night after, I don't remember.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »
...they almost single-handedly saved Rock 'n Roll from disco's mighty grip.
Not sure about your experiences during that time-frame, but in the mid-70's in NYC, we were being bludgeoned to death by disco...and me and my friends (who were always in a car going to the shore) were all too poor to own but a few 8-tracks; We were slaves to whatever was on the radio.  I always give props to Boston (a town I completely loathe) for helping grab the reins back.

Back on topic (kinda): the only concert I've ever walked out on was Crazy Horse back in the early 80's in Baltimore - and there was a traffic jam trying to get out of there early.  There isn't a single word to describe the dreadfulness that they brought on stage that night.

The Boston record is still a classic.  What I was getting at was that the live version of the band was truly awful. I don't remember a single good review, and if I recall, they didn't even try to tour for a long time after that.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 01:56:52 PM »
The Boston record is still a classic.  What I was getting at was that the live version of the band was truly awful. I don't remember a single good review, and if I recall, they didn't even try to tour for a long time after that.

Oh yeah, no doubt about it.  They weren't good live back then, but we had a good time at their show ('79, I think) knowing that they were trying hard to stir things up a bit.  I remember hearing all the rumors about how Tom Scholz did most of the recording in his basement on homemade equip, etc.  Urban Myth stuff - most of which turned out to be true.  We saw them with The Cars - it's hard to look bad when you're playing along side The Cars - a truly terrible live band.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 02:22:10 AM »
My son raved about TV on the Radio.  When I saw them on TV, they were awful.

Bet you forgot to switch on the Radio !  :rimshot:

But on topic the most disappointing live bands I witnessed live were Bob Marley and The Wailers, Beck, Bogart & Appice & the Steve Miller Band ( Rock Love line-up ).

Marley had just sacked his lead guitarist and his replacement was all over the place taking the rest of the band minus the rhythm section with him in his misery.

BBA were all great musicians but the band just didn't gel and their repertoire sucked, Superstition and Jeff's Boogie excluded.

Miller was drunk on aquavit and had trouble standing up let alone playing and singing. He took his revenge when he toured The Joker album ( with Gerald Johnson  :thumbsup:) though.
Experience is the ultimate teacher