Author Topic: First concert.  (Read 9228 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: First concert.
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »
I think it was 1966, I wasn't yet old enough to drive, my mom took me and my sister, who was (and still is) a huge fan:

The Beatles - Chicago Amphitheater

Did you actually hear them?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 11:02:31 AM »
I think that it could be said that my first concert was to see The Beach Boys a few years ago in San Diego. I was down there with my family and they just happened to be playing so we got to see them at a place called Humphrey's which has concerts right on the bay.

I did see a couple bands a few years before that but I would hardly call it a concert. We stayed after the X Games just to see Slash perform as he was a guest for the main band.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 11:10:05 AM »

Seattle Coliseum, Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies tour

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Barbie...?  ;D)

Only gig they played in the UK that year was in Glasgow, which was nowhere near me...  :sad:

I considered myself to be lucky to have seen the Tommy Bolin line up of DP at around the time Uwe saw the first Rainbow tour... Also saw Skynyrd that year, and the Ozarks...

My daughters first was Emmylou Harris, but she was too tired and fell asleep (she was about 5 or 6) but her first LOUD gig was Rush on their 2007 tour...

My wife's was (she thinks) Lorretta Lynn... not many 60's - 70's country acts she hasn't seen though she hasn't been to a country show in about 25 years... Whilst away on hols a friend suggested we go and see a tribute act called "Ring Of Fire" as he's a big fan of Cash, but she wound him up (again) by reminding him that she'd, "Seen the real thing..."  :mrgreen:

I know a family that took their kids to see the London Beatles shows in '66 (Hammersmith Odeon?) but one of them was 3 and has no "physical" memory - he just knows he "saw" them...  :-\
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 11:18:48 AM »
Just an add-on... what about acts or artists you regret not going to see when you could have done...?

Black Sabbath ('78 iirc) cancelled their show one time when I was standing in the foyer waiting to get in (I saw them with Ozzy and RJD prior and post this point)... "Sound issues" was the official reason... the strong rumour was having trouble following their support - Van Halen, on their first UK tour... never did see them...

I gave away tickets to see Ozzys first solo tour as it turned out to be a friends 21st... never did get to see Randy...  :sad:

Deeply regret never having seen Status Quo, although I had countless chances... never seen...

Grand Funk played London in '74, 2 months before I discovered them... never seen...

Black Oak Arkansas played a post Reading mini tour, one in London, one in Glasgow... I was in Scotland when they played London and back home for the Scottish gig... people really hated this band but I loved them... never seen...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 11:28:03 AM »
I was *supposed* to see Queen, but they cancelled two days prior to the show in Chicago when Brian May got hepatitis.  I got to see Kansas fill in for them, unannounced (really good, too).
I never saw Pink Floyd when they were touring.
At the rate it's going, I'll never see Muse.

I *did* finally see Todd last year.  Good show, but not great.  Added bonus of Prairie Prince on drums.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 11:38:09 AM »
Missed Floyd and Queen, too... although my sister (first gig - Bay City Rollers, tartan and everything... :puke:) saw Queen on the new-years eve show in '75 and on another occasion came home with a piece of the pig (honest...!) that was in the cover shot - did any of you hear the story of what happened to the pig...? it broke loose and floated into the main flightpath for Heathrow - a pilot reported it and was arrested and breathalysed on touchdown... imagine the conversation... "Err Heathrow control...? Their is a large pink pig floating past us..."  :o

nofi

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »
kenny, how could you not see status quo. those guys must have played a show in every town on earth, twice!  i saw them open for rory gallagher.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 12:56:23 PM »
LOUD
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 01:19:45 PM »
1952, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans at the Houston Rodeo.

Trigger was there too but he didn't sing.

nofi

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »
if you want to get technical i saw paul revere and the raiders four years before cream. they were at some kind of merchandising thing for "young america". the fire marshall shut them down after 3 songs. it was pandemonium i tell 'ya.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:44:51 PM by nofi »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 01:46:09 PM »
My first was Wishbone Ash in August of '73. They played outside of Buffalo NY at a old quarry, the venue was named The Hard Rock Quarry.  I went with my twin brother (we were 13) and our older cousin she was 16.  She told us whatever you do don't embaresse me. She quickly ditched us, we spent the day and evening hanging with some very cool hippies who kept a eye on us. At the end of the concert we found her at the aid station passed out with hickies all over her neck, Her dad was not happy. My biggest regret is never seeing Slade......................... those who have I am so f'ng jealous.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:15:41 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 02:54:52 PM »
if you want to get technical i saw paul revere and the raiders

Now, that's f#ckin cool!
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2010, 05:07:03 PM »
I think my first was Kiss about 1977 I can't remember if it was the Destroyer or the Rock and Roll over tour - I was a freshamn in highschool and couldn't drive - mom dropped us off at the Summit and picked us up - was she ever pissed - we didn't get home until 10:45 on a school night!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »
Buzz... I'm guessing
kenny, how could you not see status quo. those guys must have played a show in every town on earth, twice!  i saw them open for rory gallagher.

I guess it was because I thought I always could... now it's not worth the bother (SingalongaQuo)

I saw a number of really good bands that never really made it, Stray was probably the best of them... saw the Police before they released their first A&M single (supporting Spirit...?!?!), Def Leppard as a bunch of spotty oiks, and Iron Maiden as a bar-band in a pub around the time they released the first single, which I bought... I consider myself very lucky to have seen Max Webster in a bar/club in London (400 standing)

Did see Sabbath with Gillan (as well as Dio and Ozzy... Smoke for an encore was kind of wierd...) and so glad to have seen UFO with Schenker... Skynyrd was another band I am so glad to have had the opportunity to see, '76 and '77...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »
Quo....     I've seen them 3 times. Quo without Lancaster and Coglin is not Quo for me. With that rhythm section they were a bad ass hard drivin' seriously rockin' band. Without them they are just another rocky pop band to my ears.  >:(
Digresion our specialty!