Author Topic: Michael Jackson Dead?????  (Read 10924 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Jackson Dead?????
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2009, 01:35:54 AM »
Dave, I heard that Amazon statistic on the news today and thought of my comment. There are a lot of people looking forward to a hefty check in the mail over the next few months! And your balcony comment made me laugh out loud. Yeah, I even spelled it out!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2009, 03:15:11 AM »
Ironically, MJ's failings, personal tragedies and plain weirdness was much of what made him a star and -unearthly and strange as he was - human. He had mystique around him. You could admire him and feel sorry for him at the same time. Love him AND hate him. He was great for projection. We love our heroes, but we also like to see them fall and fail. We don't REALLY want them to be that much better off than we are. And it's a reassuring thing for us non-famies that fame comes with a heavy price.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2009, 05:03:54 AM »
I wonder how long it will take for a new album to come out ???
Rick

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2009, 05:23:57 AM »
My reaction to the media recap of MJ's career is that the 'Thriller' videos really crack me up.  The ghoulish makeup and 'Night of the Living Dead' dancers are a refreshing counterpoint to MTV's Kip Winger and David Lee Roth hairstyling videos (with apologies to fans of that genre).   :)
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2009, 07:23:52 AM »
I don't think it's age. I'm old enough to remember young Elvis, and I never understood the public outpouring of grief, much less the continuing worship of him. Music does affect people very personally and both Elvis and Michael have many adoring fans. I understand their grief, I just don't get all the public part of it.

That's well put, Dave.  Personally, I don't feel grief for someone who has been publicly destructing for years...Jackson's passing registered no more than mild surprise with me.  And perhaps I'm just a bit remote emotionally, but I don't feel grief for people other than family members or close friends when they pass. I just don't invest that much emotion in public figures and people who aren't very close to me.  I can understand that some people do invest considerable emotion in these public figures (although I don't understand WHY they do it), but it's just not something I'm temperamentally inclined to do. Jackson was certainly a talent, but for the past 20 years he's also been an erratic nutball, and this ending wasn't hard to foresee. Frankly, the death of John Wayne on my birthday in 1979 affected me a lot more...but I had more connection with him after seeing and enjoying so many movies, and because he was genuine about what he was, agree with it or not. But grief? Not part of my makeup.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2009, 07:43:37 AM »
I was sent a link to this cartoon: http://stereotypist.livejournal.com/131545.html

Looks like the cartoonist understands the media very well.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2009, 08:58:45 AM »
A-yup, that sums it up pretty well.

One of my pet peeves is that as soon as a TV station gets a live remote truck, you can bet that every evening at 10 (or 11) they will have s shot of a reporter standing in front of a dark courthouse/bank/street corner/highway with nothing happening in back of them, while they talk about what happened hours earlier.  There's no reason in the world for them to be there, except that the station has a live remote truck and has to do something with it to justify the investment.  Stoooooooopid.

At least in the MJ story they can find people to interview like Barry Gordy who actually knew him.  Although I find myself wondering whether some of the people interviewed didn't do their part to contribute to the weirdness that took him down.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2009, 06:12:44 PM »
The story over here at the moment is going 2 ways...
1 - Those that bought tickets, directly (ie, not eBay) will get refunds... (bummer for those that payed "over the odds")
... and 2 - should we hate the Brits for "forcing" him to do so many shows...?

When will it be suitable to start spilling the jokes, Dave...? decency and all that aside, I'm with Scott (not ducking, you lilly livered Yankee, get back up here and bring reinforcements...!) as I'm not a fan and never have been - I just accept the fact that he was flawed and sold a lot of product... I will honour any judgement you decree...

I don't have any Beatles in my collection, either...  :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »
Ken, we should show some respect. After all, he touched so many children....

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2009, 07:15:35 PM »
 :rimshot:
tee hee

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »
Hmms, well, being a veggie and believing in all things "green", I was pleased to learn that he will not be buried or cremated, rather being recycled as carrier-bags...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »
Wasn't he supposed to be sealed in a cryogenic chamber for resurrection in the future?

Hornisse

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2009, 09:54:04 PM »
Did somebody mention The Beatles and a balcony?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2009, 06:57:51 AM »
Did somebody mention The Beatles and a balcony?

LMFAO Now that is FUNNY
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2009, 08:08:51 AM »
 :mrgreen:

I hope the poor kid has a bigger blanket by now.